Groundbreaking brain implant REVERSES 'locked-in' syndrome: Mother-of-three with ALS can talk again after revolutionary procedure
A mother-of-three with locked-in syndrome can communicate again thanks to a groundbreaking brain transplant.
It is the first time scientists have ever managed to reverse the effects of amyotrophic laterla sclerosis (ALS), which gradually paralyzes the body, giving sufferers a life expectancy of two to five years.
Hanneke de Bruijne, a 58-year-old from the Netherlands, was diagnosed with the degenerative disease in 2008.
By 2015, she was in the late stages of the illness, unable to speak, move, or even breathe without a mechanical ventilator.
But that year, she was admitted to University... read more
- 19:49 Game of Thrones news: Night King's plan revealed? Here's the huge...
- 19:49 Donald Tusk: UK Brexit plans 'pure illusion'
- 19:48 US set to impose ‘largest ever’ North Korea sanctions
- 19:47 Barcelona star Samuel Umtiti ‘seriously considering’ Man Utd move
- 19:45 Conservatives hang on to Lichfield City Council and Lichfield...
- 19:44 Photographs put spring in focus
- 19:44 Brendan Rodgers questioned by fans as Celtic dumped out of Europe...
- 19:43 How to party and travel like a celeb to Ibiza
- 19:40 Fake fancy dress: Police safety warning as thousands of...
- 19:40 Fake fancy dress: How to spot the real deal and avoid the dangers...
- 19:39 Emmerdale spoilers: Chas Dingle drops pregnancy bombshell but will...
- 19:37 72% of Scots admit they would keep lottery win a secret from...
- 19:33 Manslaughter charge over death of Taggart star John Michie's daughter
- 19:32 Is fairytale Shape of Water suitable for kids? Masturbation,...
- 19:32 James Van Der Beek expecting fifth child with wife Kimberly
- 19:31 Ex-Stoke City defender makes move to the Royals
- 19:30 Fake fancy dress: Police safety warning as thousands of...
- 19:30 Fake fancy dress: How to spot the real deal and avoid the dangers...
- 19:29 Eddy Amoo: The Real Thing singer dies at 74
- 19:29 Danny Miller: Emmerdale star criticises Twitter over homophobic abuse
- 19:28 Fake fancy dress: How to spot the real deal and avoid the dangers...
- 19:26 Scottish Labour MSP withdraws invitation to controversial US academic
- 19:25 Fire crews called to flat blaze in city centre tonight
- 19:22 Toddler grabs food from bird trying to steal her lunch
- 19:22 Nobody knows if this unconscious Syrian boy’s parents are alive
- 19:22 Disabled woman branded ‘selfish’ for using a blue badge spot
- 19:20 Fun in store for all the family at Warwick Races
- 19:20 Fake fancy dress: Police safety warning as thousands of...
- 19:20 Fake fancy dress: How to spot the real deal and avoid the dangers...
- 19:18 RBS profit milestone overshadowed by potential massive US fine