Grenfell: Calls to waive VAT on removal repairs
Cladding removal work in the wake of the Grenfell tragedy should be exempt from VAT, according to Scotland's housing minister.
Kevin Stewart has written to the UK Treasury calling for the tax to be waived for work carried out in the wake of the tower fire.
He said it would be "immoral" for the UK government to make money from work to remove combustible cladding.
The UK government is to fund the replacement for social housing.
The prime minister has committed to spending about £400m to pay for councils and housing associations to replace the potentially dangerous material on tower... read more
- 01:47 Disabled mother who fought for mobility support back’s charity crusade
- 01:47 Charity urges sandwich generation to speak to parents about death
- 01:47 The Yorkshire Post says: NHS tables turned. Tories try to outflank...
- 01:47 Andrew Vine: Windrush – and how Britain was changed on day the...
- 01:47 Anthony Smith: Rail passengers share woes and demand answers
- 01:47 Leeds City Council reveals new plan for Clean Air Zone charges,...
- 01:46 Developers search for occupiers for remainder of Lomondgate scheme
- 01:42 Nostalgia with Margaret Watson: 150 years of St Saviour’s Church in...
- 01:42 It’s good to talk: Is ‘pink and fluffy’ the way forward for...
- 01:36 Northern Rail: Guards row sparks fresh strikes
- 01:36 Anthony Smith: Rail passengers share woes and demand answers
- 01:36 Leeds City Council reveals new plan for Clean Air Zone charges,...
- 01:31 Tortured puppy shifts Turkey elections agenda
- 01:28 Trump administration scrambles as outrage grows over border...
- 01:19 Disabled mother who fought for mobility support back’s charity crusade
- 01:18 'It's exhilarating': Japan's female sumo wrestlers take on sexism
- 01:14 The Rolling Stones: How Eel Pie Island shaped the band's career
- 01:06 Did colour cost Lenny Kravitz a major role in Big Little Lies?
- 01:02 Susanna Reid in 'constant battle' with Piers Morgan
- 00:56 Palestinian killed as Israel fires rockets
- 00:56 BREAKING: Trump demands tariffs on $200billion of Chinese goods as...
- 00:43 Recording captures cries of children separated from parents at US...
- 00:43 Spain to exhume Franco's remains and turn site into place of...
- 00:43 Teenager arrested over fatal north London stabbing
- 00:37 Why is the St George’s flag controversial - and is it legal to fly it?
- 00:37 Water firms failed customers during 'Beast from the East'
- 00:37 University chiefs to be forced to justify pay
- 00:36 Susanna Reid: I've had enough of men telling me about feminism
- 00:30 Regulator condemns ‘beast from the east’ water supply failings
- 00:22 Rapper XXXTentacion shot dead in Florida