Greenhouse gas removal technologies needed to meet climate goals, experts warn
Schemes to take greenhouse gases back out of the atmosphere - from planting trees to new technology - will be needed to meet global climate goals, government advisers have said.
And reducing red meat consumption and increasing video conferencing are among a suite of measures that could be used to cut emissions from "hard-to-treat" sectors such as agriculture and aviation.
The UK has signed up to the Paris Agreement, which commits countries to keep temperature rises to "well below" 2C above pre-industrial levels, and pursue efforts to limit the temperature increase to... read more
- 13:21 Hillsborough: What the six defendants are accused of
- 13:20 Rare bee-eater birds seen at Nottinghamshire sand quarry
- 13:20 Mileposts project nears completion
- 13:20 Tributes paid to 17-year-old girl 'angel' Saffron Pickering
- 13:20 Appeal to find teen last seen outside Nottinghamshire supermarket
- 13:20 Get your free Herald bottle of water at Stratford River Festival
- 13:20 PICTURE: Cute little kestrel chicks are laid at Conisbrough Castle
- 13:20 Manchester United forward Anthony Martial responds to Old Trafford...
- 13:19 Three-year sentence for spice dealer given a second chance
- 13:19 Michael Bond, creator of Paddington bear, dies at 91
- 13:19 Debris causes delays
- 13:19 Fun event assault and theft probe by police
- 13:19 Ramadan event helps victims of terror outrage
- 13:19 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:19 Popular Paul to get public send-off
- 13:19 First birthday joy for miracle twin sisters
- 13:19 Manic episode 'caused killing'
- 13:19 Death of a horse whisperer at 70
- 13:19 Next stop... price hikes
- 13:19 Five ways to protect yourself from ID fraud - and 5 things to do it...
- 13:18 Korean nuclear firm to be 'long-term partner' in Cumbria
- 13:18 Reported West Brom transfer target wants to fight for place at Man...
- 13:18 Drug addict tried to swindle his own mum by pretending to be kidnapped
- 13:18 Transfer rumour: Aston Villa target to join Championship rivals
- 13:18 Delayed by the Edinburgh airport power outage? Find out if you can...
- 13:18 Former West Yorkshire chief Norman Bettison charged over alleged...
- 13:18 Chelsea Transfer News LIVE updates: Worrying Courtois update,...
- 13:18 Oldco Rangers set to discover 'big tax case' fate next week
- 13:18 Are you allowed to sunbathe naked in your own garden?
- 13:18 Smiler rollercoaster crash victims talk about their compensation...