Green power subsidies 'still adding too much to energy bills'
Controls on green power subsidies, which are set to add £110 to household energy bills by 2020, have not delivered value for money, a report has warned.
The National Audit Office said the £7.6 billion cap on subsidies for low-carbon electricity set by the Government for 2020/2021 will be breached by more than £1 billion by the end of the decade.
Weaknesses in forecasting and allocating the budget for clean energy means little is left for the next few years, when the cost of renewable projects has fallen and would deliver more for the money, the report from the NAO said.
The Government was... read more
- 10:01 Princess and the Frog re-telling set to delight youngsters at...
- 10:01 Gmail phishing scam: How to avoid getting hacked by sophisticated...
- 10:00 Arsenal star exit has not been ruled out for this month
- 10:00 Championship news: is Brentford striker Scott Hogan moving closer...
- 10:00 Cleaner who stole £4,000 from dementia sufferer is spared from jail
- 10:00 Prisoner was harassed by ex after he was released from jail
- 09:59 Romelu Lukaku responds to speculation he’s set for stunning £70m...
- 09:59 Zlatan Ibrahimovic is 'invaluable' to Manchester United... we have...
- 09:59 Mark Hillman murder trial: three men in court over shooting - updates
- 09:59 Special meeting called to investigate Christmas event
- 09:59 Naked female & male cleaners wanted in Boston to clean houses for...
- 09:59 EU must cut costs after Brexit - Finnish finance minister
- 09:59 Israeli policeman and Bedouin killed in clashes over demolitions
- 09:59 Rising inflation hurts outlook for UK households - survey
- 09:58 Whitehaven's Coach Road to close for £100,000 resurfacing
- 09:58 Naked female cleaners wanted to clean houses totally nude for £45...
- 09:58 Prisoner was harassed by ex after he was released from jail
- 09:58 Naked female & male cleaners wanted in Lincolnshire to clean houses...
- 09:58 Gmail phishing scam: Has your account been hacked in 'most...
- 09:57 1,000 tourists evacuated from package holiday destination amid unrest
- 09:57 Picture special: Horncastle Farmers have a ball to help charities
- 09:57 Bob Arum: Conor McGregor would be beaten up by a novice boxer
- 09:57 Woman, 29, assaulted at Doncaster beauty spot
- 09:56 'Who's that watching my telly' jilted partner yells through letterbox
- 09:56 Comedy star Mark Watson to headline at Melton Theatre for LOROS...
- 09:56 Man seriously injured after accident in Wolvey
- 09:56 Controversial holiday-let plan back on table
- 09:56 New WI group sets up in Grantham
- 09:55 Watchdog fines EE £2.7m for overcharging 40,000 mobile phone customers
- 09:55 Woman, 29, assaulted at Doncaster beauty spot