Green power subsidies 'still adding too much to energy bills'
Controls on green power subsidies, which are set to add £110 to household energy bills by 2020, have not delivered value for money, a report has warned.
The National Audit Office said the £7.6 billion cap on subsidies for low-carbon electricity set by the Government for 2020/2021 will be breached by more than £1 billion by the end of the decade.
Weaknesses in forecasting and allocating the budget for clean energy means little is left for the next few years, when the cost of renewable projects has fallen and would deliver more for the money, the report from the NAO said.
The Government was... read more
- 11:45 Sewing the Seeds of a Creative South Tyneside business
- 11:45 Khabib Nurmagomedov eyeing spot on UFC 217 card, still wants to...
- 11:45 Coventry City confirm Academy staying put for another season
- 11:44 Muslim festival of Eid prompts sales alert at JD Sports
- 11:44 This 1956 Aston Martin DBR1 could become the most expensive British...
- 11:44 Man sought in relation to Liverpool murder could be in Wrexham
- 11:44 NHS comments after Derbyshire doctor takes her own life
- 11:42 Big Brother star Chanelle McCleary flashes BOTTOM in miniskirt...
- 11:41 Future looks healthy for Boldon’s Opus Medigas
- 11:41 Adolf Hitler is not a 128-year-old man living in Argentina
- 11:41 14 reasons Stoke-on-Trent is a great place to live
- 11:40 Abortion reform matter for Stormont, court rules
- 11:40 Armed police with 'masks and machine guns' swarm on Coventry address
- 11:39 Graduating pays off: Scottish Government
- 11:39 South Yorkshire trainee assistant practitioners making an impact
- 11:39 Smoking -related deaths in Warwickshire fall following ban on...
- 11:39 Borini joins Faubert and Bendtner among the weirdest transfers...
- 11:38 Grenfell Tower hero who tried to help people on top floor found...
- 11:38 Malawi and Unicef launch drone air corridor
- 11:38 Grenfell Tower survivors shut out of council meeting 'over protest...
- 11:38 Jail for Sheffield man who hid shotgun on his family’s allotment
- 11:38 Mario Kart 8 UPDATE: Nintendo Switch patch notes reveal THIS...
- 11:38 Transfer rumour: Ligue 1 club still hope to sign Aston Villa...
- 11:38 Thieves steal safe full of cash from East Midlands Aeropark at...
- 11:38 Primary school gates turned into shrine to murdered teacher Julie...
- 11:37 Monaco assure Kylian Mbappe that Chelsea-bound Tiemoue Bakayoko...
- 11:37 Choir want more members
- 11:37 Painting masters head for Nottinghamshire's Patchings Festival
- 11:37 New hotel included in site masterplan
- 11:37 Coastguard called to reports of trio swept out to sea