Greek islanders tipped for Peace Nobel stoic about nomination
For months Greek fisherman Stratis Valamios would steer his boat out to sea, only instead of fish, he pulled out people.
Day after day, rubber boats packed with refugees and migrants would attempt the short but dangerous crossing to Greece from Turkey, even as winter set in and the seas turned rough and winds grew violent.
"It was like a war zone," Valamios, now a co-nominee for the Nobel Peace Prize, said of his tiny seaside village of Skala Sikamnias on Lesbos, the island where more than 800,000 people escaping war and conflict in the Middle East and beyond arrived in 2015.... read more
- 12:39 Birmingham City announce partnership with Spanish outfit
- 12:39 Birmingham would lose almost £7 billion from a 'hard Brexit'
- 12:39 This Morning's Phillip Schofield and Holly Willoughby REPLACED by...
- 12:38 Lifeboat ferries paramedic to Holy Island
- 12:38 Free renewables training in Northumberland
- 12:38 Mark Hunt questions why UFC legend Georges St-Pierre is allowed...
- 12:38 Developing young citizens
- 12:38 Can’t pay, won’t pay, but now even more to pay?
- 12:38 Extra-care housing site officially opened
- 12:37 New grandstand hailed a winner
- 12:37 Passenger praises rail staff on-board train that hit and killed man
- 12:34 South Cumbria beauty spots: Top 10 locations less than 30 minutes away
- 12:34 Half term week weather forecast for South Cumbria
- 12:34 UK employees do £30,000-worth of work during lunch breaks
- 12:34 Future guitar heroes head to the North for EP promo gig
- 12:34 New show from top Beatles tribute is ‘magical history tour’
- 12:34 Stage stars go mad for the 80s in new musical
- 12:34 Scottish oil worker Colin Gillespie dies in Gran Canaria
- 12:33 Man who defrauded investors in Stamford company out of £3m must pay...
- 12:32 Chris Hughes thinks Katie Price has been catfished but Olivia...
- 12:32 Children’s screen time expected to rise after clocks go back
- 12:32 Scot jailed for touching man in Dubai “has sentence dropped”
- 12:31 Council worker punched and attacked in Morecambe alleyway
- 12:30 Children’s screen time expected to rise after clocks go back
- 12:30 Facebook investigating ‘48 hour challenge’ where children...
- 12:30 Renewed appeal to find missing boys believed to be back in Worksop
- 12:30 Trump attacked by McCain for being Vietnam War draft-dodger
- 12:30 Have your say on Sherwood Forest playground scheme
- 12:30 Liverpool should sack Jurgen Klopp and hire Carlo Ancelotti, says...
- 12:30 Arsenal vs Norwich TV channel, kick-off time, date, odds and team...