Greece: Police fire tear gas at protesting pensioners
GREEK police fired tear gas and pepper spray at pensioners during an anti-austerity demonstration in Athens yesterday.
Riot police waded into the gathering of more than a thousand OAPs, some wielding walking sticks, after a grouptried to overturn a bus blocking a road to Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras’s office during the protest against further EU-dictated pensions cuts.
The demonstrators fled and several suffered breathing difficulties, although no injuries or arrests were reported.
“This is a fight for our life. The country has been driven to desperation,” protest organiser Dimos... read more
- 14:01 Art reviews: Louise Bourgeois | Stephen Sutcliffe | Sara Barker
- 14:00 Donations needed to go under the gavel at charity auction
- 14:00 Alert over Paw Patrol soap after toddler left fighting for life
- 13:59 Japanese pornstars treat fans to farting performance
- 13:59 P&G staff dig deep for hospice
- 13:59 Tory minister defends his comments about killing UK IS fighters
- 13:59 Everton sack Ronald Koeman after 16 months in charge at Goodison Park
- 13:59 Manchester United must 'stick together' after first Premier League...
- 13:59 Alert over Paw Patrol soap after toddler left fighting for life
- 13:57 Birmingham Prison bosses received 'indicators' of £6m riot BEFORE...
- 13:57 Solihull power cut: Live updates as town centre shops evacuated
- 13:56 Neighbours spoilers: Olympia Valance exit confirmed? Fears for...
- 13:56 Kim Cattrall age, net worth and early television and film appearances
- 13:55 Russia radio presenter stabbed in neck
- 13:54 Female MPs reveal harrowing accounts of sexual assault
- 13:54 Man 'stabbed five times' outside St Leonards school
- 13:54 Dylan Barker 'captured the hearts of of everyone he met', says...
- 13:53 Residents call the police after being ‘terrorised’ by a goat
- 13:52 Children with alcoholic parents face a greater risk of having...
- 13:52 Dementia diet: Whether fish or omega-3 supplements are better REVEALED
- 13:52 Five reasons a visit to Loch Lomond is good for the soul
- 13:52 Can't be bothered to floss? Seven percent of people use strands of...
- 13:52 Asthma UK gym advice: Do THESE eight things to make exercising with...
- 13:52 Theatre: Joyce McMillan reports from the Dublin International...
- 13:52 Swansea vs Manchester United TV channel, kick-off time, date, odds...
- 13:52 Woman, 21, 'sweats' BLOOD from her face and the palms of her hands...
- 13:52 VIDEO: Derbyshire mum's warning after toddler is dragged inside...
- 13:52 Journey’s End movie trailer: INCREDIBLE first look at WW1 classic –...
- 13:52 Woman, 40, whose brain is dropping out of her skull and crushing...
- 13:52 Wilko launches half price Pick n Mix sale