GRAPHIC CONTENT: Muslims whip themselves with chains and blades in blood-soaked ritual
The blood-soaked ceremony, which is part of the Ashura commemorations, sees hundreds take part in self-flagellation.
The shocking images show young men taking knives to their heads and bodies in brutal acts of self-harm.
The ritual marks the death of Imam Hussein, a grandson of the Prophet Mohammed, who was killed by armies of the Yazid near Karbala in 680 AD.
Volunteers are seen mopping the floor as the ground turns to a river of blood.
Men are seen bent over in agony as their backs bleed heavily.
Using chains and blades the Afghan Shiite Muslims celebrate the holy day at a mosque in... read more
- 18:49 J Crew to close 39 stores after jacking up prices
- 18:49 Birmingham City duo join Mickleover Sports on loan deals
- 18:47 Arsenal news: Arsene Wenger will make major team selection change...
- 18:47 New England Patriots and Philadelphia Eagles backed for Super Bowl...
- 18:47 Arsenal news: Danny Welbeck problem is a real worry for Arsene...
- 18:47 Blue and white Arsenal kit disgusts fans against Cologne – 'What...
- 18:45 No joy for Thoresby’s festival refund
- 18:45 Video: Man lost his home and pension after falling for a £200,000...
- 18:45 Video: Apprentice contestant Elizabeth chases a goose to safety
- 18:46 UPDATED 6.30pm: A590 reopens but train problems persist
- 18:45 Mansfield and district crime report
- 18:46 Cumbrian criminal cases reviewed after potential data manipulation
- 18:45 Woman cut free after Kirkby car smash
- 18:45 The essential do’s and don’ts of Black Friday
- 18:45 Brighton can win at Old Trafford, claims Chris Hughton ahead of...
- 18:45 Man who strangled a woman to death in Sutton is sentenced
- 18:45 £295 court bill for £15 of cannabis in Mansfield
- 18:45 Notts child sexual abuse reports increase
- 18:45 Jail for banned driver who walked out of Mansfield court and drove off
- 18:45 Royal badge manufacturer secures £1.2 million of help to expand
- 18:45 The best Black Friday deals 2017
- 18:43 We've had the Ale Trail - this was the coffee trail
- 18:42 'She's more than just a sex toy': Man, 58, reveals he sleeps with a...
- 18:42 Europe’s oldest chimpanzee Blossom dies at the ripe old age of 62...
- 18:42 How cooking fish and chips can change the weather: Frying food...
- 18:42 Seven submissions to St Helens Council’s planning department
- 18:42 Figures show worrying increase in disabled youngsters seeking help...
- 18:42 Is it safe to go to Morocco? Travel advice and update for...
- 18:41 Why you NEED some 'me time': Study shows solitude is good for...
- 18:41 Stress IS hereditary: Children of mothers who endured stress during...