Grand Old Buildings - how Barton's ropes were used to scale Mount Everest
MANY people who have visited Barton's fine Ropewalk arts centre with its gallery and live performance hall might well be unaware of the interesting history of ropemaking in the town.
In fact, rope made at Hall's premises was used by the expedition that conquered the summit of Mount Everest in 1953. The ropery – once a major employer in the the area – closed in December 1989.
The Ropewalk section of the ropery – a relatively narrow building of around 400 yards, – produced ropes up to 44 inches in circumference.
Grand old buildings - The day Ant and Dec came to Scunthorpe as PJ and Duncan
The... read more
- 00:46 EastEnders spoilers: Disaster rocks Walford! Will everyone survive...
- 00:46 Emmerdale spoilers: Robert Sugden vows to stand by Aaron Dingle...
- 00:46 Emmerdale spoilers: Hostage horror as Debbie Dingle’s return sparks...
- 00:46 Hollyoaks spoilers: Ste Hay and Harry Thompson to split?
- 00:44 Gillian Burke 'horrified to be blamed for Springwatch team break-up'
- 00:44 Miranda Hart's 'short notice' departure led to Call The...
- 00:44 Jasmine waltzes out of CBB in shock eviction
- 00:44 Poor transport links to services 'hurting rural communities'
- 00:44 Craig David and Tinie Tempah among acts for War Child Brits Week
- 00:42 Trainer Harry Fry considers Cheltenham options for American after...
- 00:37 Leeds 2023 culture bid team is hoping for a helping hand (or two)...
- 00:37 'Holy smokes that is a dinosaur!' Enormous gator nicknamed Humpback...
- 00:36 UK businesses wary about investment on Brexit doubts: survey
- 00:33 Simon Mignolet: Why I believe I can be Jurgen Klopp's No1...
- 00:33 Zlatan Ibrahimovic: Paul Pogba can deal with the pressure on his...
- 00:33 Everton star Tom Davies: Why I owe my first goal to Ronald Koeman...
- 00:33 Pep Guardiola is not the only one at fault for the mess at...
- 00:29 Tory Tribunal Fees are Giving Britain’s Worst Bosses a Free Ride
- 00:28 The successful women embracing ‘girl power’
- 00:28 Can your voice reveal whether you have an illness?
- 00:28 Christian Dior boss: Fashion success through reinvention
- 00:25 100 women: 'Why I fought being banished to a hut during my period'
- 00:25 OPEC sees market stability in 2017, Venezuela aims for $70 price
- 00:25 Sherlock and Doctor Who: 9 times their worlds collided
- 00:24 Former Man United, Bayern Munich and Barcelona boss Louis Van Gaal...
- 00:23 Man jailed for South Ribble thefts
- 00:23 When fast food gets an Indian twist
- 00:22 China Stocks-Factors to watch on Tuesday
- 00:22 Chinese president to defend globalization in Davos
- 00:21 Soaring toll of NHS patients harmed as doctors prescribe the WRONG...