Grammar schools will not be in every town, says Theresa May
The plan to lift the ban on grammar schools is not about reintroducing them to every town and city in England, Prime Minister Theresa May has said.
Speaking on BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show, she said it was about raising the level of education across the country.
"Taking off the ban on a particular type of school is not saying we want one of this here and one of that there," she said.
"It's about ensuring we have good school places for every child."
The plan to launch new grammar schools - traditionally entered by pupils aged 11 after passing an 11+ exam - emerged in... read more
- 11:09 What inmates will be eating on Christmas Day at Foston Hall and...
- 11:08 Green cars expected to outsell diesels in two years
- 11:08 Backs to the 'noughties': 20 North East photographs from 2000 to 2009
- 11:08 Ban for teacher who started a sexual relationship with ex-pupil...
- 11:08 What does B&Q stand for? It might be 'Bother and Quarrel' for this...
- 11:07 Police appeal for two missing people after boy, 15, disappears
- 11:07 Banned driver drove to pick up his daughter's medication
- 11:07 Lorry bursts into flames near Huddersfield town centre
- 11:05 Police hunt man in conncection with theft of TV in Forest Town
- 11:05 Manchester United players who could be sold in January transfer window
- 11:05 POLICE ADVICE: Make it harder for pickpockets this Christmas
- 11:02 Strictly CATFIGHT! Bitter backstage rows erupt as three female...
- 11:02 Jeff Brazier’s fiancée Kate Dwyer shares adorable first family...
- 11:02 Nativity plays brought awe and wonder to Normanton school’s...
- 11:02 Emmerdale spoilers: Adam Barton’s exit REVEALED as he’s jailed for...
- 11:01 Russian drones could cripple UK by cutting underwater...
- 11:01 Aston Villa transfer news: Steve Bruce on the perils of the...
- 11:01 Price of success: Every Premier League team ranked by money spent...
- 11:00 Suspected racer banned from driving for two years and given...
- 10:59 Real Madrid line up Chelsea boss Antonio Conte to replace...
- 10:58 Officers concerned for safety of missing Bulwell man
- 10:58 Accident and ice causing morning delays on A590 and A66
- 10:58 Fantasy Premier League tips: In-form Fantasy Football stars ahead...
- 10:55 Don Kynman, Scarborough singer
- 10:55 Rev Richard Fillingham, Sheffield vicar
- 10:55 James Else MBE, Dunkirk veteran
- 10:55 David Martin, artist
- 10:55 Tewkesbury homes still without water after pipe burst
- 10:53 King Michael: Romania bids farewell to former monarch
- 10:52 Alford Grammar pupils make Christmas hampers for the elderly