Grammar schools will 'lower standards' and be 'socially divisive'
Theresa May's plan to approve a new wave of selective grammar schools is "socially divisive" and will lower standards for the majority of pupils, the chief inspector of schools has warned.
Ofsted chief Sir Michael Wilshaw used one of the Prime Minister's slogans while attacking her proposals, insisting new grammars would only work "for the few".
Mrs May has repeatedly insisted she wants to created a country that "works for everyone, not just the privileged few".
But Sir Michael, who will stand down in December, urged the PM to instead create specialist... read more
- 07:05 South Yorkshire dementia charity is all fired up and ready to go
- 07:04 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 07:04 Breast isn’t always best, so stop shaming formula mums
- 07:03 Philippines' minister says Duterte agrees with ban on mining in...
- 07:03 Le Pen increases first round lead in French election - poll
- 07:02 ‘District council failed over pool cleanliness’
- 07:01 Manchester United News: Wayne Rooney update, Midfielder transfer...
- 07:01 Kasper Schmeichel plays down heroics to keep Leicester's Champions...
- 07:01 Shadow Housing Minister’s pledge for more affordable homes in...
- 07:00 Dialog Semiconductor sees good sales growth in 2017
- 06:59 Who's in charge of Hands Off HRI - and is the money safe? Here's...
- 06:58 BREAKING: Helen Bailey murder - Ian Stewart guilty of killing...
- 06:58 Man wanted over Blackpool attacks
- 06:58 Fylde Tories doubt over county plans
- 06:58 Fast and furious waterpark slides get the thumbs up
- 06:58 Homes plan wins council approval
- 06:58 Donald Trump revokes Obama policy that affected transgender students
- 06:58 Mum’s Corrie delight after acting break
- 06:58 Police welfare a priority insist force bosses
- 06:58 Museum Trust enjoys success with open day
- 06:58 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire
- 06:57 Man 'gutted' in knife attack after refusing to give cash to beggars
- 06:57 One horse hit by vehicle after ponies run loose on A19
- 06:57 Hartlepool homeowner threatened with court for paving over his...
- 06:57 Extra support for Hartlepool and North Tees midwives
- 06:56 Italy says no problem with construction of TAP pipeline
- 06:56 Tech breakthroughs take a backseat in upcoming Apple iPhone launch
- 06:54 Isle fat loss expert ties the knot
- 06:54 European boss makes big revelation about managing Liverpool
- 06:54 LIVE: Storm Doris in Lancashire