Grammar schools 'must genuinely reach out to poorer pupils'
Theresa May has insisted grammar schools will have to show they are "genuinely reaching out" to pupils from poorer backgrounds.
The Prime Minister also said the Government is seeking to find new ways to identify "struggling" children rather than rely on information detailing who receives free school meals.
Mrs May added the education system is "not going back to the 1950s", as she defended her proposed reforms to allow new selective schools.
She is expected to face opposition, including from Tory MPs, when she tries to get her plans through Parliament.
Speaking... read more
- 19:46 Basel game is important for Arsenal outcasts like Lucas Perez, says...
- 19:46 Arsenal star Mesut Ozil is too often an easy target for critics,...
- 19:45 Charities fined over 'wealth screening' data breaches
- 19:43 Frustrated man chopped off his genitals with a kitchen knife...
- 19:43 Cockroach removed from woman’s ear after crawling in when she...
- 19:41 Investigation urges coalition apology for Yemen hospital attack
- 19:40 Celtic hero Chris Sutton: This player is a problem for Manchester City
- 19:38 Rio Ferdinand: Alexis Sanchez is Arsenal’s talisman
- 19:37 John Prescott visits Sleaford as by-election battle hots up
- 19:36 A180 reopens for a second time after multi-vehicle crash
- 19:36 Iker Casillas calls for Porto to be calm against Leicester City as...
- 19:35 Hairdresser among UK’s best
- 19:35 Family set for first Christmas as millionaires - but they won't be...
- 19:33 Six of the best: most memorable matches of Nigel Clough's second...
- 19:32 ‘We don’t condone drug use - but let us test if yours are safe’
- 19:31 Toons Furnishers director John Toon feared horror smash on road he...
- 19:29 Matt Le Tissier 'given naked massage' by coach Bob Higgins
- 19:28 Swedish security guards brutally attacked by vicious gang on...
- 19:26 Recap: A180 reopens for a second time after a day of chaos
- 19:24 Body of neglected pony dumped on Lincolnshire farmland
- 19:22 Death crash inquest opened
- 19:20 ‘Man in the hat’ Brussels bombing suspect ‘plotted attack on...
- 19:19 Cuba, U.S. to discuss detente in wake of Trump election
- 19:19 Violence erupts in Athens on anniversary of student killing by police
- 19:17 Hammer used to break into cash box at charity fundraiser
- 19:17 Everything you need to know about Preston's late night Christmas...
- 19:16 Two men accused of rape 'shared photos of victim on WhatsApp'
- 19:16 Norway's Schibsted to hire more staff to stave off Facebook in...
- 19:16 Who is Phil Foden? Pep Guardiola names Manchester City youngster in...
- 19:14 Bad news, music fans – Samsung is killing off the headphone jack, too