Grammar schools 'must genuinely reach out to poorer pupils'
Theresa May has insisted grammar schools will have to show they are "genuinely reaching out" to pupils from poorer backgrounds.
The Prime Minister also said the Government is seeking to find new ways to identify "struggling" children rather than rely on information detailing who receives free school meals.
Mrs May added the education system is "not going back to the 1950s", as she defended her proposed reforms to allow new selective schools.
She is expected to face opposition, including from Tory MPs, when she tries to get her plans through Parliament.
Speaking... read more
- 03:06 UFC News: McGregor v Mayweather 2, Khabib's return, big GSP accusation
- 03:03 Gordon Hayward breaks ankle: The Boston Celtics’ season is OVER now...
- 02:59 WORLD WAR 3: North Korea arsenal REVEALED – Where can Kim Jong-un’s...
- 02:33 Our Girl: 'This season is DREADFUL!' Viewers insist 'disappointing'...
- 02:33 Great British Bake Off: Stacey pulls her oven door COMPLETELY OFF...
- 02:33 TOWIE: FIRST LOOK Megan McKenna and Pete Wicks split for good as...
- 02:33 Game of Thrones star Natalie Dormer cuts a stylish figure in slinky...
- 02:33 'Why should she suffer?' Pregnant Coleen Rooney 'plans SEVENTH...
- 02:33 'I'm aware of the lesbian rumours': Daisy Lowe hits back at...
- 02:20 Invitation to help create a new victims’ policy for Lincolnshire
- 02:19 Rockets vs Warriors LIVE stream: How to watch NBA opening night...
- 02:16 World War 3: North Korea SUCCUMBS to world economic sanctions by...
- 02:16 California fires: Deadly wildfires reach LA – HUNDREDS of...
- 02:15 'Rogue' property agents to be targeted, ministers say
- 02:13 Invitation to help create a new victims’ policy for Lincolnshire
- 02:04 Donna Nook Nature Reserve sees earliest seal pup birth
- 02:01 Six fishermen missing in capsize off Australian coast
- 02:00 Christian Cole: Oxford University's first black student
- 02:00 Traffic jams: UK's worst motorway disruption revealed
- 01:58 Invitation to help create a new victims’ policy for Lincolnshire
- 01:55 'How I got my children back'
- 01:55 Universal Credit: MPs to debate rollout amid Labour pause call
- 01:54 The Ashes: Former England star Marcus Trescothick slams ‘pathetic’...
- 01:51 Gordon Hayward: Boston Celtics BREAKS ANKLE in season opener...
- 01:51 Invitation to help create a new victims’ policy for Lincolnshire
- 01:51 Why one in 10 young women struggle to afford pads and tampons
- 01:51 Care home residents get a virtual view of the past
- 01:51 Hartlepool cancer sufferers told: ‘You’re not alone’
- 01:46 The artist making 'new' Warhol paintings, 30 years after his death
- 01:31 Eyesore site demolished