Grammar schools 'must genuinely reach out to poorer pupils'
Theresa May has insisted grammar schools will have to show they are "genuinely reaching out" to pupils from poorer backgrounds.
The Prime Minister also said the Government is seeking to find new ways to identify "struggling" children rather than rely on information detailing who receives free school meals.
Mrs May added the education system is "not going back to the 1950s", as she defended her proposed reforms to allow new selective schools.
She is expected to face opposition, including from Tory MPs, when she tries to get her plans through Parliament.
Speaking... read more
- 14:58 Go with the flow: United Utilities' leak-finding sniffer dogs and...
- 14:58 Vibrant law firm one of fastest growing in North-West
- 14:57 'It can’t be true': Parma return to Serie A after three straight...
- 14:57 Trump pulls out of North Korea summit
- 14:56 Boys, 15, guilty of Columbine-style school shooting plot
- 14:56 OAP stole £36k from golf club
- 14:56 Society set for scenic spectacular
- 14:56 Donald Trump cancels historic summit with North Korean leader...
- 14:56 Camilla Parker Bowles reveals the Royal Family were worried over...
- 14:55 Champions League final: Liverpool stars snapped boarding plane to Kiev
- 14:55 TV Highlight AND TRAILER: Sir Anthony Hopkins is King Lear
- 14:54 Couple branded monsters for killing French nanny over bizarre...
- 14:54 Children had more chances under Thatcher than Sturgeon, claim
- 14:54 Louts drinking and climbing on roof at former school site
- 14:54 A proud day for Boulmer as base celebrates Freedom of the City
- 14:53 'Bad trip': air force members guarding nuclear missiles took LSD,...
- 14:53 Court finds Spain's ruling party benefited from bribery scheme
- 14:53 'I love you Mum': more tributes paid on day four of Grenfell inquiry
- 14:52 Vibrant law firm one of fastest growing in North-West
- 14:52 TV Choice AND TRAILER: Five of the best shows this week
- 14:52 Special rail summit planned after 'dreadful' performance of Northern
- 14:52 Motorists take care to avoid family of geese walking Barrow's streets
- 14:52 Barrow man cleared of Samurai sword charge
- 14:51 Trump: NFL kneelers 'maybe shouldn't be in country'
- 14:49 Driver faces sentence in June over M55 tragedy in which van driver...
- 14:49 ‘I’ve been screaming from the rooftops that I need help’
- 14:49 Go with the flow: United Utilities' leak-finding sniffer dogs and...
- 14:49 Milnthorpe OAP had indecent photos of children
- 14:49 Vibrant law firm one of fastest growing in North-West
- 14:48 TV Highlight AND TRAILER: Sir Anthony Hopkins is King Lear