Grammar schools and poverty: Check your area
Fewer than half of grammar schools make deliberate efforts to admit children from very low income backgrounds, the BBC has found.
Once widespread, grammar schools are now confined to just 36 of England's 152 local authorities, but Prime Minister Theresa May plans to change and expand the system.
New selective schools would have to show they were "genuinely reaching out across society" and taking children from a range of backgrounds, Mrs May said.
BBC research found that in their admission policies only 73 out of the 163 existing grammar schools in England gave priority to children... read more
- 15:08 Trophy success at double for cadets
- 15:08 Firm completes sale and leaseback deal
- 15:09 First World War hero George Peachment to be remembered in £8.5...
- 15:08 Thunder gets on board with Moody
- 15:08 Search is on for lost north east memorials
- 15:09 Magpie Recipe: Hake, wild mushroom, wild garlic & sherry cream
- 15:08 Prestigious award for franchisee
- 15:08 Training new generation of technologists
- 15:08 Two pharma companies collaborate
- 15:08 Containers given a new life on shore
- 15:07 Kirkby biker led cops on chase
- 15:07 Sutton man caught with drugs in motoring arrest
- 15:07 Thieves target ATM at Banbury Co-op 'with exploding foam'
- 15:07 Burton Albion players deliver coaching sessions at Stanton School...
- 15:06 Prison sentence quashed for Sutton Bridge man caught with indecent...
- 15:06 Manhunt launched after 59 burglaries across the region including...
- 15:06 Spen cadets know the drill
- 15:06 We think this teenager may have failed her driving test
- 15:05 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:05 Inspector Darren McKie guilty of wife's murder
- 15:05 Premier League big six transfer spend by position: Where has all...
- 15:05 Revealed: What these 6 common stomach pains mean and how to fix...
- 15:04 Prezzo to shut 94 restaurants with 500 jobs axed
- 15:04 Teenage asylum seeker jailed for life over Parsons Green Tube bomb
- 15:04 Bassetlaw woman bought drugs at Christmas then forgot about them
- 15:04 £70 million bid boost for Grantham road plan
- 15:03 Space age lessons delight pupils
- 15:02 Dutch police detain 25 England fans overnight after drunken...
- 15:02 Afghanistan hold nerve to beat Ireland and reach Cricket World Cup
- 15:02 Space age lessons delight pupils