Grammar school could “present great opportunity” for Corby, says town’s MP
Corby’s MP Tom Pursglove has given his backing to a campaign to create a grammar school in the town.
Prime Minister Theresa May recently announced that a ban on new grammar schools, which can select pupils based on ability, would end.
After £60m was set aside to be invested in “social mobility cold-spots”, one Corby resident felt it was the sort of educational funding the town needed.
And after contacting Mr Pursglove, the Conservative MP has offered to present a petition in Parliament.
Mr Pursglove said: “I was contacted by a constituent who has started a petition to bring a grammar school... read more
- 12:22 Westminster terror attack: Rugby man nearly hit by car on bridge
- 12:21 Google urged by judge to 'take responsibility' in fight against...
- 12:21 Why you could be getting a pay rise from April 1
- 12:21 Blackpool students compete for digital future
- 12:21 Youtube prankster to headline Friday night comedy at Alexander's
- 12:21 Transfer News: Arsenal's £25m Barca raid, £38m Man Utd and...
- 12:21 As the new Formula One season gets ready to kick off in Melbourne,...
- 12:21 Former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez drops another...
- 12:20 Livingston FC fan blog: It's been a successful few days for the...
- 12:20 Skai Jackson hits the red carpet after her viral meme took the...
- 12:20 Celtic star Scott Brown is the reason I'm now Norway skipper, says...
- 12:20 Rangers interview Peter Lovenkrands for coaching role under Pedro...
- 12:20 Russian man pleads guilty over $500m malware scam
- 12:20 Cuts will see schools fall in league tables
- 12:20 Trojans get reality check in home loss to Saddleworth
- 12:20 Sharks push title favourites all the way in narrow defeat
- 12:20 More support for victims of domestic abuse in Derbyshire
- 12:19 More support for victims of domestic abuse in Derbyshire
- 12:19 Sinister online bullying craze sweeps UK classrooms - everything...
- 12:19 Everton FC linked with striking reinforcements
- 12:19 Sir Alex Ferguson says modern day players not prepared to be managers
- 12:19 Police appeal after man attacked in car near Nont Sarah's pub
- 12:18 The clocks are set to change - and this is how to get your kids to...
- 12:18 Flight laptop ban: How it affects passengers and all you need to know
- 12:18 London terrorist attack: Look inside the Birmingham flat raided by...
- 12:18 Work to improve two Kenilworth parks set to start soon
- 12:18 Fire under Warwick canal bridge
- 12:17 Stage is set for Burgham International Trials
- 12:17 Senior officers consider more armed police patrols on...
- 12:17 Northumberland girls to the fore in National Championships