GPs 'neglect four tests on young with fever which could flag up threats to life'
GPs are failing to carry out basic checks on children with fever that could flag up life-threatening illnesses, research suggests.
A new study found most under-fives with a high temperature are not checked properly for signs that could indicate sepsis, meningitis or pneumonia.
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) published guidelines in 2007 and again in 2013 urging GPs to carry out four simple tests.
But evidence suggests they are still not being done and charities said lives are being needlessly lost as a result.
The Nice guidance says GPs must measure and record... read more
- 08:35 Row erupts over ‘lost’ £19m funds
- 08:34 Man Utd transfer news: 10 stars to be axed by Jose Mourinho this...
- 08:34 West Indies vs Zimbabwe LIVE stream: How to watch ICC WC qualifier...
- 08:34 Challenging role that will see you in prison
- 08:33 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 08:32 Gambling regulator urges government to cut FOBT stakes to £30
- 08:32 The memorable things you can only do in Leeds
- 08:32 Toddler barricades herself in room with toys after being...
- 08:32 Near misses between aircraft and drones triple in just two years
- 08:31 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 08:30 Man attacked in Barrow town centre
- 08:30 It takes 15 minutes of burpees to burn off a creme egg, but that’s...
- 08:28 Vaping warning as study reveals E-cigs cause liver disease
- 08:28 British woman killed in Syria after leaving home to join fight...
- 08:28 Russia election: Muted Western reaction to Putin victory
- 08:27 10 words you’ll only know if you went to school in Scotland
- 08:26 Jeremy Clarkson’s son Finlo sports neck brace and crutches on...
- 08:25 Doncaster WhatsApp users warned about new scam
- 08:24 Elderly woman airlifted to hospital after cliff fall
- 08:24 12 words and phrases you'll only know if you are from Lancashire
- 08:24 Why Cuba’s colourful capital Havana should be your next city break
- 08:24 Man seen 'brandishing a knife' in the street in Barrow
- 08:23 Keeping the Lancashire coast safe for four decades
- 08:22 Crack cocaine of gambling' stakes should be cut says regulator
- 08:22 Elderly woman airlifted to hospital after cliff fall
- 08:22 Hold back that sneeze! You might be a flu super-spreader
- 08:21 Ben Stokes bowls five overs in indoor nets as England star boosts...
- 08:21 Lionel Messi hints he will 'give up' on Argentina if they don't win...
- 08:21 Pound to Euro exchange rate: Sterling retains its rise following...
- 08:21 Real Madrid 'agree deal in principle' to sign Bayern Munich forward...