GPs 'neglect four tests on young with fever which could flag up threats to life'
GPs are failing to carry out basic checks on children with fever that could flag up life-threatening illnesses, research suggests.
A new study found most under-fives with a high temperature are not checked properly for signs that could indicate sepsis, meningitis or pneumonia.
The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) published guidelines in 2007 and again in 2013 urging GPs to carry out four simple tests.
But evidence suggests they are still not being done and charities said lives are being needlessly lost as a result.
The Nice guidance says GPs must measure and record... read more
- 10:42 Poet pens ode to love for local waterways
- 10:42 Arsenal’s Alexis Sanchez unlikely to seal transfer back to La Liga,...
- 10:41 European shares hit Q4 high as banks advance further
- 10:40 There’s art in store for college students
- 10:40 Crashes claim 49 lives on South Yorkshire roads
- 10:39 Award creates a a buzz
- 10:39 Peter Vaughan: Tributes to 'wonderful' Game of Thrones and Porridge...
- 10:39 Arsene Wenger: This is why Arsenal stunned Basel last night
- 10:39 Confirmed: Man United first-team trio miss Europa League trip: Full...
- 10:39 Germany legend warns Arsenal: Do not sign this midfielder
- 10:37 Sony to release as many as six mobile phone games next year
- 10:36 Santa to fly in to local hospice
- 10:36 Miss Rugby stars in video
- 10:35 It’s Miaow-y Christmas!
- 10:35 EMERGING MARKETS-Lira at one-week high; fragile emerging assets...
- 10:34 Lib Dems fined £20,000 by watchdog over undeclared payments
- 10:34 WEIRD WINTER WEATHER: Temperatures to top balmy 12C
- 10:34 Drug-user told how she stole goods because she left purse at home
- 10:34 Pensioner admits kidnap and sexual assault of young girl in village...
- 10:33 Boy, 11, dies three years after accidentally hanging himself
- 10:32 Bayern Munich send ominous message to Arsenal on Twitter ahead of...
- 10:32 Jose Mourinho leaves SIX Manchester United first team stars at home...
- 10:31 Georgian townhouses to undergo £2m revamp
- 10:31 Flu risk leads to order to keep all poultry indoors
- 10:30 Britain fines Pfizer record $107 million for huge drug price hike
- 10:30 'Keep your birds indoors!' Birdflu outbreak warning issued for...
- 10:30 The Premier League's deadliest ever penalty takers - ranked by...
- 10:29 Letters - December 12, 2016
- 10:28 Santa to fly in to local hospice
- 10:27 CSKA Moscow star Alan Dzagoev looks to heap misery on Tottenham at...