GP shortage challenging but ‘not in crisis’, insists Shona Robison
Health Secretary Shona Robison has denied there is a crisis in general practice, despite evidence that some family doctors are facing “inhumane” workloads.
Ms Robison told MSPs on Holyrood’s Health Committee that she accepts the shortage of GPs in Scotland is “very challenging”, but she refused to characterise it as a crisis.
Doctors earlier told the committee there is a “major problem” that is beginning to affect patient care.
Dr Alan McDevitt, chair of the British Medical Association’s Scottish general practitioners committee, said the latest figures show a 28.6% GP vacancy rate across... read more
- 06:22 10 amazing products for parents who just want to go the f*** to sleep
- 06:22 Terror attack: James Corden pays heartfelt tribute to London on The...
- 06:22 London attack: Police raid address in Birmingham
- 06:21 Italy's Five Star Movement blamed for surge in measles cases
- 06:20 Club chief: We wanted to sign Diego Costa... but it was impossible
- 06:19 Leeds school to close for day following Ofsted inspection
- 06:19 Maritime battle that helped turn the tide of the Second World War
- 06:19 Praise for sixth form facing axe
- 06:19 Hospice boss ‘disappointed’ over decision to freeze funding
- 06:19 Blackpool: From the courts 23-03-17
- 06:18 £40m investment call to help our ex-mining communities
- 06:18 Mixed reaction to South Shields primary school’s toilet policy
- 06:18 Terror at Westminster: Knifeman kills police officer and mows down...
- 06:18 Birmingham Live: Breaking news, travel and weather across the...
- 06:18 WANTED! Police release details of suspects after burglary spree
- 06:16 Club chief explains why Chelsea striker deal collapsed last summer
- 06:16 Arsenal’s £25m swoop, Liverpool message, Man United’s two bids,...
- 06:16 Our Westminster editor gives his first hand account of terrorist...
- 06:16 We must not flinch in the face of terror - evil will never be...
- 06:16 Italy's Five Star Movement blamed for surge in measles cases
- 06:15 Burglar jailed after leaving blood and fingerprints during East...
- 06:14 Business Improvement District blitz Northampton streets in a bid to...
- 06:14 Celebrating 70 years of iconic Dr Martens brand
- 06:14 Victoria’s little shop of horrors in Daventry has become a monster...
- 06:14 Swimming gala fun celebrates talent
- 06:13 Pogba, Sanchez, Hazard... The Premier League's most valuable XI
- 06:13 Manchester United defender Luke Shaw handed timely boost
- 06:13 Man City star John Stones is a symbol of progress in English football
- 06:13 London terrorist attack - Derby MPs pay tribute to police officer...
- 06:13 Huge vessel’s visit captured by college art teacher