Government aid programme attacked over value for money in overseas schemes
The Government's aid programme has been criticised by an independent review after it was found to have short-changed British taxpayers in some overseas projects.
HMRC has been rebuked for not achieving good value for money in its early efforts to help other countries improve their tax collection.
The Department for International Development (DFID) was given an "amber-red" rating by the Independent Commission for Aid Impact's (ICAI) review for its work in helping to crack down on tax avoidance and evasion globally.
In one case highlighted, nearly £1.2 million was spent on training... read more
- 07:48 Gary Neville: I would hate to play against this Manchester United star
- 07:45 Have your say on plan shaping Scunthorpe's development for next 19...
- 07:45 Scunthorpe's Grand Old Buildings - town's oldest school set up by...
- 07:45 Mock The Week star will not be holding back!
- 07:45 'Scunthorpe problem' causing issues elsewhere in the UK
- 07:45 Named and shamed: ONE-STAR food hygeine ratings for two North...
- 07:45 Man pleads guilty to two sexual assaults
- 07:45 Dismissed steelman calls for police probe
- 07:45 Angry rescuers slam poor planning
- 07:40 No Hard Knock Life for Annie and her crew
- 07:33 Ian McCall slams 'awful' Ayr United performance as they crash to St...
- 07:33 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:32 Barcelona willing to offer Real Madrid this star to keep Lionel...
- 07:32 Manchester United star snubbed transfer because of his country
- 07:29 Antoine Griezmann tells Paul Pogba: I see myself at Manchester United
- 07:29 Manchester United's EFL Cup final wildcard could be a man Jose...
- 07:26 Former soldier brandished gun and threatened to shoot teenager at...
- 07:22 THOUGHT FOR THE WEEK: February 26
- 07:19 EastEnders villain 'Nasty' Nick Cotton comes to Huddersfield for...
- 07:19 EXCLUSIVE: Southampton should exploit this Man United weak link -...
- 07:19 Liverpool goalkeeper Simon Mignolet: What I did after Jurgen Klopp...
- 07:15 Australia and Indonesia restore full military ties
- 07:13 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:12 Tortoises rescued from smugglers make their Chester Zoo debut
- 07:11 Three arrested after police pursuit across counties
- 07:11 WEATHER: It’s going to be wet and windy
- 07:10 Manchester United star: I want to sign a new deal
- 07:10 Arsenal staff reveal Alexis Sanchez will leave Gunners in the summer
- 07:06 DFS Trading Limited fined £1m after worker suffered serious...
- 07:06 Chef cooks up a veggie treat