Government aid programme attacked over value for money in overseas schemes
The Government's aid programme has been criticised by an independent review after it was found to have short-changed British taxpayers in some overseas projects.
HMRC has been rebuked for not achieving good value for money in its early efforts to help other countries improve their tax collection.
The Department for International Development (DFID) was given an "amber-red" rating by the Independent Commission for Aid Impact's (ICAI) review for its work in helping to crack down on tax avoidance and evasion globally.
In one case highlighted, nearly £1.2 million was spent on training... read more
- 14:27 Community shows support for struggling Hebburn Town FC
- 14:26 This new mortgage could save you THOUSANDS - by paying your stamp...
- 14:25 Unseen images shed a new light on life in Gateshead 100 years ago
- 14:24 Campaign to remove John Bercow 'undignified' says Tory MP
- 14:24 Scottish man snaps up German murder house where victims were...
- 14:23 Celtic star James Forrest happy for the Hoops to win ugly to keep...
- 14:23 Linlithgow Reds return from France with trophy
- 14:22 Pensioner ex-pat found stabbed to death in Spanish retirement home
- 14:21 Several sheep killed in Shropshire fields
- 14:21 'Low-life' steals special Guy Martin beer pump clip from racing...
- 14:20 Sir Bobby Charlton in Anoki - the moment one of English football's...
- 14:17 Look what arsonists did to children's playground in Bagillt
- 14:15 Mercedes boss Toto Wolff: This is why we didn't sign Fernando Alonso
- 14:14 Liverpool summer transfer target: Jurgen Klopp earmarks swoop for...
- 14:14 Mark Lawrenson says Man Utd will beat Blackburn today… And his...
- 14:14 RECIPE: Roast monkfish with Puy lentils
- 14:12 Defending crops the natural way
- 14:11 From Lincoln to New York – we've gone worldwide!
- 14:09 PICTURE: Stolen road sweeper apprehended by armed officers in...
- 14:08 Live updates as main Nottingham road closed due to serious crash
- 14:07 Grantham Journal letter: Pothole damaged car
- 14:07 Leicester's hospitals have a £27m deficit - here's what they're...
- 14:06 PS4 Pro NEWS: Final Fantasy XIV next in line for performance boost
- 14:05 New fund available to prevent the elderly from becoming isolated...
- 14:05 Take precautions to stop winter flu bugs
- 14:04 Premier League stats: Which clubs have scored the most goals from...
- 14:03 Blues boss Gianfranco Zola "surrounded" at Birmingham New Street
- 14:03 Morrisons recall packs of meat as they may ‘cause meningitis’
- 14:03 Comment: Birmingham City can no longer blame bad luck - they're...
- 14:03 Sherlock tops international poll of most popular BBC characters