Got that sinking feeling? Terrifying photos of circling sharks, giant jellyfish and monster waves prove the ocean is a place of nightmares
Do you ever get hit with that sudden feeling of dread during a perfectly pleasant paddle in the ocean?
If so, your fears are not unfounded. To date, we've explored less than five per cent of the ocean, and considering it covers more than 70 per cent of our planet, this notion alone is unnerving.
What we do know is that the sea is home to all manner of terrifying creatures, has the power to decimate entire cities with its force, and is so deep and dark we can hardly even see what's under there.
This trepidation in its most extreme form even has a name: thalassophobia - a condition classified... read more
- 15:45 Sir Roger Moore dies: his best roles from James Bond to The Saint
- 15:45 Why Liam Payne 'struggled' over Cheryl's decision to name son Bear
- 15:45 Vic Reeves signs up for Coronation Street role
- 15:45 Downton Abbey star Hugh Bonneville has his say on possible movie
- 15:45 Heckles, applause and mocking laughter at Kenilworth and Southam...
- 15:45 Liam Payne set to top charts with debut solo single Strip That Down
- 15:45 These are the Manchester terror attack victims
- 15:45 Former CIA director says discussed election hacking with Moscow in...
- 15:44 Open Air Theatre shows to go ahead as normal following Manchester...
- 15:44 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:44 Radio 1 Big Weekend adds extra security measures after Manchester...
- 15:43 Scarborough student caught up in Manchester terror attack
- 15:43 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:43 Rugby to hold vigil instead of hustings
- 15:43 Delivery Hero set to list before summer break: sources
- 15:43 Fidelity to allow clients to see digital currencies on website
- 15:43 Can you help police find missing 16-year-old Kyra?
- 15:42 Ariana Grande fans claim their bags weren’t checked at...
- 15:42 EasyJet plane at Gatwick is evacuated due to ‘mysterious white powder’
- 15:42 Boris Johnson confronted by furious heckler over broken Brexit bus...
- 15:42 Wrenthorpe couple badly hurt in Manchester Arena terrorist attack
- 15:42 Adlington vigil tonight for Manchester victims
- 15:41 Georges St-Pierre will fight for the welterweight title - Dana White
- 15:41 Barcelona ready to stun Man United with ambitious transfer raid for...
- 15:41 Why you could be SIX TIMES more likely to win tomorrow's £25m...
- 15:41 Motorist caught drink-driving after car’s shutdown system kicked in
- 15:40 Women’s Tour: “Let’s really show our support for these elite...
- 15:39 Pippa Middleton wedding: Duchess of Cambridge in NUDE outfit with...
- 15:39 Manchester Arena attack 3pm update - what we know so far
- 15:39 New road opens in Alnwick