Got that sinking feeling? Terrifying photos of circling sharks, giant jellyfish and monster waves prove the ocean is a place of nightmares
Do you ever get hit with that sudden feeling of dread during a perfectly pleasant paddle in the ocean?
If so, your fears are not unfounded. To date, we've explored less than five per cent of the ocean, and considering it covers more than 70 per cent of our planet, this notion alone is unnerving.
What we do know is that the sea is home to all manner of terrifying creatures, has the power to decimate entire cities with its force, and is so deep and dark we can hardly even see what's under there.
This trepidation in its most extreme form even has a name: thalassophobia - a condition classified... read more
- 17:04 Scottish Government opens hub in Berlin to boost business links
- 17:04 Former member of Northamptonshire's Jesus Army member jailed for...
- 17:03 Former carer repeatedly stole from from vulnerable Leamington woman
- 17:03 Nicky helps champ break Boxercise world record
- 17:03 Jeff Bezos v the world: why all companies fear 'death by Amazon'
- 17:03 Cyber crime officers to be recruited in West Yorkshire
- 17:02 Harron Homes donate £1,000 to Shireoaks Village Hall renovation...
- 17:02 Toronto man charged in 'horrific' van attack that killed 10 people
- 17:02 Trump dismisses query about Michael Cohen pardon with two words:...
- 17:02 Cambridge Analytica: five key claims by academic at heart of scandal
- 17:01 Your Whitby Gazette now at another new peak
- 17:01 William Friedkin: 'You don’t know a damn thing, and neither do I'
- 17:01 Love Island’s Marcel Somerville and Gabby Allen ‘on the verge of...
- 16:59 Adorable family of deer spotted on public park in Walsall - and...
- 16:58 Ucas orders inquiry into 'racial profiling' of UK students
- 16:58 A tooled up gang of mercenaries armed to the teeth with ukuleles
- 16:57 Donald Trump says Kim Jong Un is ‘very open’ and ‘very honorable’
- 16:56 How bouncing back from Hull City thrashing has shown Burton...
- 16:56 Yorkshire financial adviser who cost investor £2m and his marriage...
- 16:55 Horse fly-tipping: why are animals being left to die?
- 16:55 Money problems: why Finland has given up on the basic income dream
- 16:55 BTS to return to America to perform at the Billboard Music Awards...
- 16:55 Parking charges for disabled motorists coming to our hospitals
- 16:53 Man sells all of his belongings and invests in Bitcoin to travel...
- 16:52 Hartlepool United reserves suffer heavy home loss
- 16:52 Thug Simeon Corry guilty of murdering JLR worker Garry Twist in rum...
- 16:51 VIDEO: Watch as majestic war horse is crane lifted into new home in...
- 16:51 Dad ditches 10,000 a day calory diet of takeaways and fizzy drinks...
- 16:50 Cyber crime officers to be recruited in West Yorkshire
- 16:48 Touch rugby group needs your help to make charity fun day a success