Google reveals its self-driving cars have now driven 2 MILLION miles on public roads (but they still won't be ready for production until 2020)
Google's self-driving vehicles are mastering complex situations on public roads, from cars going the wrong way to bicycles darting in front of traffic, as the technology company strives to win the high-profile race to achieve full vehicle automation.
The Alphabet Inc unit, which has been developing autonomous cars since 2009, said its self-driving vehicles had logged two million miles (3.2 million km) on public roads, and it continues to log about 25,000 miles of test drives per week.
Google has been a leader in testing autonomous vehicles on public roads, prompting traditional carmakers to... read more
- 08:28 Denise Welch on bikinis, body confidence and books
- 08:27 Jarrow care home hosts tea party for South Tyneside’s latest...
- 08:27 Black Monday: 30 years after 1987 stock market crash... Wall Street...
- 08:26 MARKETS LIVE: FTSE 100 and Spain's IBEX fall ahead of showdown in...
- 08:26 Holly heartbroken to miss out on a medal
- 08:26 Scott’s gold glory is inspiration for Lisa
- 08:24 Brid’s bumper summer - thanks to birds, bikes, Brexit and bands
- 08:24 Coventry Telegraph Business Awards 2017: Finalists revealed
- 08:23 Teenage girl left bruised after attempted robbery in Doncaster
- 08:22 Six-storey staff car park approved for Lancaster hospital
- 08:22 Ninja star confiscated from High Peak children
- 08:22 Crash blocks one lane of A50 causing delays
- 08:22 Alarm over decline in flying insects
- 08:21 Sellafield firefighters on strike again today
- 08:20 Man Utd angry at Jose Mourinho and consider replacing him with Luis...
- 08:20 Meet Britain's shortest servicewoman - and she's from Lincolnshire
- 08:20 Arsenal news LIVE updates: Keane blast, Chambers injury blow,...
- 08:19 Granville Academy, in Woodville, closed for rest of week after...
- 08:18 Huge 75-tonne delivery to Hull will cause massive delays on roads
- 08:18 Bingo! Leeds jobs bonanza just the tonic
- 08:16 Inquest into Cumbrian mum's death hears of further hospital errors
- 08:16 Arsenal are behind ‘most teams in the Premier League’, claims...
- 08:16 BBC Breakfast: Naga Munchetty DEMANDS answers in heated Brexit...
- 08:15 Barcelona join the race to sign Tottenham star Harry Kane
- 08:13 You’re going to be obsessed with this Instagram dedicated to...
- 08:13 Country glory in the glens
- 08:11 Plucky Blackpool hotelier uses Google to catch burglar
- 08:11 Mum-of-two fights back from breast cancer at age of 30
- 08:11 Here's how schools are supporting transgender and non-binary pupils
- 08:11 Pervert who lives near three Whitley Bay schools caught with...