GLOBAL MARKETS-Dollar strengthens on robust U.S. data; gold falls
* Oil prices gain, stay near four-month highs
* Wall St flat, European equities slip
* Sterling sinks to fresh 31-yr low
* U.S. jobless claims fall; focus on Fri payroll report (Updates with U.S. afternoon trading)
By Lewis Krauskopf
NEW YORK, Oct 6 The U.S. dollar gained on Thursday against a basket of currencies, hitting its strongest level in more than two months and pressuring gold prices, as strong labor market data gave support to a possible U.S. interest rate hike later this year.
U.S. Treasury yields rose to three-week highs, ahead of the closely watched U.S. jobs report due out on... read more
- 14:33 Seamus Coleman speaks out following clash with Man Utd star Zlatan...
- 14:33 Birmingham man, 101, on trial for child sex abuse
- 14:32 Pep Guardiola admits Alexis Sanchez could fit into any team in the...
- 14:30 Police seek man in connection with sex assault at Center Parks
- 14:29 Lufthansa pilots to decide on new pay offer next week
- 14:28 The date for the end of the world has been set – and it’s...
- 14:28 Police plan to give safety advice at Northumberland schools
- 14:28 Escort girlfriend 'wanted to fleece' killer millionaire
- 14:27 Man suffers serious facial injuries after pub brawl spills out into...
- 14:26 Severe weather warning for Hull and East Yorkshire as thick fog...
- 14:26 Two sexual assaults in 12 hours in Mapperley area of Nottingham
- 14:24 Munro mountain record broken with 24 tackled in 24 hours
- 14:23 Dordon boxer Ball backed to rise from small halls to win major honours
- 14:22 Bob Dylan writes speech for Nobel ceremony
- 14:22 Short-sightedness: Sunlight 'can help improve very common eye...
- 14:21 UK says to begin preparing new WTO membership terms ahead of Brexit
- 14:20 Dream VIP ride for brave young firework victim Tyler.
- 14:20 Is Serie A defender heading to Stamford Bridge? Chelsea send scouts...
- 14:20 Stan Collymore: This is why Chelsea have more chance than Liverpool...
- 14:19 Prolific thief handed lengthy shops ban in Cumbria crackdown
- 14:19 Effortless vertical bike parking that saves up to 40% space
- 14:19 Cumbrian motorists face 8-mile diversion - after 0.2-miles of...
- 14:18 Vote: Help us decide on the best Christmas song of all time
- 14:18 Germany warns against backlash over Afghan refugee suspected of murder
- 14:18 'Ditch your chip pans', public urged
- 14:17 Stranger dozes off on man while on train so he takes a bunch...
- 14:17 Moose casually gets high on exhaust fumes while man de-ices his car
- 14:16 Fernando Torres fit to face Bayern Munich after hip injury in...
- 14:16 Tiger Woods is BACK: Watch him nail this STUNNING bunker shot to...
- 14:15 Euro zone finance minister reject 2017 fiscal stimulus target -...