GLOBAL MARKETS-Dollar gains, gold loses luster amid robust U.S. data
* Dollar at 4-week high vs yen, pound at 31-year low
* Oil prices gain, stay near four-month highs
* Wall St flat, Europe equities slip
* U.S. jobless claims fall; focus on Fri payroll report (Updates with opening of U.S. markets; changes dateline, previous London)
By Lewis Krauskopf
NEW YORK, Oct 6 The U.S. dollar strengthened on Thursday, pressuring gold prices, as strong labor market data gave support to a possible hike in U.S. interest rates later this year.
U.S. Treasury yields rose to three-week highs, ahead of the closely watched U.S. jobs report due out on Friday. In an encouraging... read more
- 10:29 Nick Boles MP reveals cancer diagnosis
- 10:29 BBC weatherman gets chilly with it for BYHP
- 10:29 MP Nick Boles ‘annoyed’ to be missing Grantham Hospital march on...
- 10:27 What good has come out of Brexit?
- 10:24 All the best dog costumes from this year’s Tompkins Square...
- 10:23 CCTV released after a man threatens Newcastle bookies staff with a...
- 10:23 Mother who gave birth after suffering 16 miscarriages reveals how...
- 10:23 South Yorkshire overnight arson attacks
- 10:23 Adomah v Adama: Did Aston Villa come up trumps?
- 10:23 Raddlebarn Road stabbing: 'What sort of world are our kids growing...
- 10:21 Aqeel Ahmed wins gold in Finland and urges Team GB selectors to...
- 10:21 East Kilbride Rugby Club boss calls for improvement as his side are...
- 10:21 Motherwell boxer Reece McFadden wins gold medal despite opponent...
- 10:21 WWE Universal champion Kevin Owens recalls epic title win ahead of...
- 10:21 UK mortgage approvals pick up from 19-month low - BBA
- 10:21 Pedestrian taken to hospital in air ambulance following collision...
- 10:20 Yobs throw bricks off M58 bridge shattering vehicles
- 10:20 Tory MP Nick Boles reveals new cancer fight
- 10:20 Ellesmere Port tourist attraction unveils rare restored boat
- 10:19 Majority of football fans would support gay players at their club,...
- 10:19 Louis van Gaal is my biggest influence says Thomas Muller, as...
- 10:19 Mel Morris spent his cash on Derby County, so now deserves loyalty
- 10:19 Why our council left a tip in the park
- 10:18 Reward offered for Louth dog missing for two months
- 10:18 Lloyds and Anto hit FTSE after results
- 10:17 Blackpool high in write-offs list
- 10:17 Two families fight to raise £50k to for two life-changing ops
- 10:17 Lloyds' PPI bill hits £17bn: Bank's shares slide as it sets aside...
- 10:17 GLOBAL MARKETS-Oil price declines weigh on European markets
- 10:17 Kitten travelled 10 miles in car engine around Shropshire