Global deal to cut dangerous HFC emissions
200 states sign up to limit greenhouse gas
NEARLY 200 states agreed a legally binding deal in the Rwandan capital Kigali at the weekend to limit use of hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) in a bid to fight climate change.
HFC, used in air conditioners and refrigerators, is the world’s fastest-growing climate pollutant and more damaging than carbon dioxide.
UN secretary-general Ban Ki Moon called the new deal “critically important.”
The agreement caps and reduces the use of HFC in a gradual process beginning by 2019 with action by developed countries.
More than 100 developing countries, including... read more
- 19:50 Absence of swing leaves Anderson and Broad as baffled as the...
- 19:50 Armed bystanders gun down Oklahoma City restaurant shooter
- 19:47 Colombian police re-arrest Escobar hitman for extortion
- 19:46 Young Shetland residents to study island life for stage show
- 19:46 Scotland’s Kirk told to ‘give young the chance of leadership’
- 19:44 Hero science teacher shot three times as he swatted gun away from...
- 19:43 Arsenal transfer news: Unai Emery hopeful of signing Juventus star...
- 19:42 PICTURE: Woman hit by train at Doncaster Railway Station 'treated...
- 19:40 Bride-to-be dies suddenly after saying she felt ‘on top of the world’
- 19:35 No Dundee derbies as Dark Blues get Pars and United draw County
- 19:34 PICTURE: Woman hit by train at Doncaster Railway Station 'treated...
- 19:34 Donald Trump’s North Korea letter is given an F by unimpressed teacher
- 19:33 Missing Coleby twins remembered 75 years after deaths
- 19:33 Prestigious award for third year in a row
- 19:32 Michael Vaughan’s brutal assessment of England and Trevor Bayliss...
- 19:26 Donald Trump to be faced by army of tiny orange hands during UK visit
- 19:26 Vladimir Putin says Sergei Skripal would have ‘died immediately’ if...
- 19:26 PICTURE: Woman hit by train at Doncaster Railway Station 'treated...
- 19:25 Scotland to ‘keep the pound’ for years after independence vote
- 19:22 Beware of burglars this bank holiday - Cumbria Police
- 19:22 Man who swallowed razors and soiled himself in court is jailed for...
- 19:22 Brazilian president sends in army as truck protest strangles economy
- 19:21 Big Interview: North End boss Alex Neil on his debut season at...
- 19:19 Police appeal after Nelson road rage assault
- 19:16 Hiccup for Norton Lindsey & Wolverton Firsts
- 19:14 Car SOS stars launch motor museum exhibition
- 19:06 Wealth of delights in store at Lake festivities day
- 19:05 Man, 65, faces jail for slapping waitress’ backside while wife was...
- 19:04 Pakistan batsmen build healthy Lord’s lead against frustrated...
- 18:58 Man shot by police arrested after being released from hospital