Glimpse of history as 200-year-old canal lock in Chorley is drained for repairs
Members of the public with a keen eye for history were able to take stock of the 200-year-old technology behind Lancashire’s canals in what was a one-off event for the county.
Organised by the Canal and River Trust, Lock 61 of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Johnson’s Hillock, Chorley, was drained as part of the charitable trust’s winter open days, inviting people to take a look behind the scenes of what keeps canals and rivers working.
Visitors got the chance to go in to the lock on Sunday, January 28, to inspect its walls and floors, marvelling at the engineering behind the historic... read more
- 07:55 Body found in search for missing Leamington man
- 07:55 Police tent erected at Sheffield murder scene after death of boy, 15
- 07:54 Criminal proceedings not ruled out over use of donations for...
- 07:53 Sheila Hancock on Edie: 'There aren't many actors still around who...
- 07:51 Father and daughter step out for charity
- 07:51 Green-fingered Brownies lend a hand
- 07:51 Popular landlord and colourful character dies
- 07:51 Antiques show heads to Alnwick
- 07:51 Celebrating LGBT culture and life in Northumberland
- 07:51 Latest results from the courts
- 07:51 Northumberland Day – a celebration of our heritage
- 07:51 GALLERY: A trip to the Farne Islands.
- 07:44 Edinburgh Woollen Mill confirms it will move headquarters to Carlisle
- 07:43 Why cockroach milk is the ultimate ‘superfood’
- 07:41 Police tent erected at Sheffield murder scene after death of boy, 15
- 07:40 Man from north London charged with terrorism offences
- 07:40 Cash converters: could this Dutch scheme stop drivers speeding?
- 07:40 Who betrayed Anne Frank? Book claims to shed new light on mystery
- 07:40 Leeds Windrush victim could not travel to see star athlete sister’s...
- 07:39 Parking your car the wrong way round could land you a £1000 fine
- 07:39 Stories of good deeds
- 07:39 City centre is now bereft of trees
- 07:39 'Jealous' Northampton woman yanked out ex-boyfriend's dreadlocks...
- 07:39 'I feared for my life': Woman's account of alleged kidnap and sex...
- 07:38 Motorcyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following...
- 07:34 Orphaned fox cub rescued from busy road by West Cumbrian animal...
- 07:34 Global health conference to return to Cumbria after snow forced...
- 07:34 Police crush major Carlisle drug conspiracy
- 07:34 Hats off to Headway with teddies, titters and titfers
- 07:29 Someone’s made a Bop It! themed sex toy