Glasgow scientists examine if stroke drug could help MS
Scientists will test whether a blood-thinning stroke drug could help to repair damage to nerve cells caused by multiple sclerosis (MS).
A team from Glasgow University will lead the two-year research project, which could offer fresh hope to 11,000 Scots living with the disease.
MS occurs when the protective coating on nerve fibres is damaged or lost, disrupting messages from the brain to the body and putting the nerves at risk of permanent damage.
Scientists will investigate whether a modified version of a stroke drug known as heparin could help to reduce the damage.
Lead researcher... read more
- 05:18 Capitals beat Lightning to reach first Stanley Cup final since 1998
- 05:18 Celtics win again at home to put Cavaliers on brink in NBA playoffs
- 05:18 A snapshot of life on Yorkshire’s railways
- 05:13 'The Mediterranean diet is gone': region's children are fattest in...
- 05:11 Miles Kane: This is my Adele album
- 05:08 North Korea calls US Vice-President Pence 'stupid'
- 04:42 Trump administration launches vehicle import probe
- 04:35 Watch Hartlepool school children skip to it
- 04:29 Ariana Grande responds to sexist criticism about breakup with Mac...
- 04:29 Portnoy's Complaint review: exploring America’s sex-geography –...
- 04:24 British public
- 04:22 Ghost ships
- 03:46 Trump investigation of auto imports raises fears of new tariffs
- 03:43 Tom Richmond: New questions for Chris Grayling on Carillion HS2...
- 03:33 Wallabies prop James Slipper banned after positive cocaine test
- 03:20 Linda Burney admits interview transcript left out call for offshore...
- 03:01 Sterling Brown stungun arrest: Milwaukee police apologize to NBA...
- 03:00 Tom Richmond: New questions for Chris Grayling on Carillion HS2...
- 02:50 Liverpool news: Jordan Henderson warns squad ahead of Champions...
- 02:46 Sterling Brown: Milwaukee police release arrest video
- 02:31 Tesla Model 3: Elon Musk confirms price and specs for performance...
- 02:29 Jared Kushner granted security clearance after painful process
- 02:22 Itai Dzamara: The man who stood up to Zimbabwe's Robert Mugabe and...
- 02:22 Palestinians face uncertainties over Abbas succession
- 02:17 Andrew Hastie's use of US intelligence over bribery allegation 'a...
- 02:11 Brazil diesel prices slashed in effort to halt strike
- 02:06 Brexit: UK's 'strong objections' to Galileo sat-nav exclusion
- 01:59 North Korea casts further doubt on summit and warns US of...
- 01:59 'You're not going to die': 911 transcripts from cougar attack...
- 01:44 Comcast in 'advanced stages' of 21st Century Fox bid