Ghost ships of the Arctic: Starvation, murder, cannibalism... and how the discovery of two British wrecks may solve one of the great mysteries of the sea
As a ‘whodunit’, it remains one of the greatest of all time, a British seafaring mystery with such enduring fascination that even after 170 years of rumour, allegation and speculation, it still fires imaginations.
What really did happen to Rear-Admiral Sir John Franklin and the 129 sailors on the HMS Erebus and HMS Terror who set off to explore the Arctic in 1845 but who never returned home from that frozen wasteland?e
Precisely how, where and why they died has only ever been guessed at.
Over the years it has variously become a legendary tale of men fighting against starvation, sickness and... read more
- 13:20 BREXIT BOMBSHELL: Luxembourg warns EU WON'T renegotiate if UK...
- 13:19 Will you join our campaign to help the homeless in Harrogate this...
- 13:18 YP Letters: A worrying climate of science under attack
- 13:18 YP Letters: May’s deal with EU is the death of democracy in Britain
- 13:18 Nate Diaz vs Woodley: Tyron reveals real reason why fight fell through
- 13:18 Cristiano Ronaldo furious with three Real Madrid team-mates
- 13:16 Firefighters rescue horse from SWIMMING POOL
- 13:16 More people claiming unemployment benefits in Hull compared to 2016
- 13:16 Boy, 15, arrested on suspicion of stealing Royal Mail post bags
- 13:13 Will you join our campaign to help the homeless in Harrogate this...
- 13:13 Dementia SCANDAL: Hundreds of patients will be STRANDED in hospital...
- 13:12 M62 'carriageway defect' near Wakefield causes lane closure
- 13:12 Police arrest Hull boy, 15, after sacks of post stolen from Royal...
- 13:12 Drama student cleared of rape after night out during Fresher’s week
- 13:12 Romelu Lukaku hits back at critics after scoring Manchester United...
- 13:12 Wrexham AFC set for financial boost as former striker Moult signs...
- 13:12 Will you join our campaign to help the homeless in Harrogate this...
- 13:11 Why Huddersfield's live escape room is going Underground
- 13:10 Ex-West Brom youth trains with Wolves to boost Lambs hopes
- 13:10 Anthony Joshua surprises children in Christmas visit to NSPCC centre
- 13:10 Popular chip shop forced to close after food poisoning allegations
- 13:09 Four Seasons Health Care gains breathing space
- 13:09 REVIEW: Aladdin Preston Charter Theatre
- 13:08 Almost 300 missed appointments at Millom surgery
- 13:08 Millom museum to close for month-long refurbishment
- 13:08 Barrow man admits lying to police after hit-and-run
- 13:08 Christmas benefits 2017 to be paid EARLY - these are the dates you...
- 13:07 Sir Cliff Richard warned financial affairs may be revealed during...
- 13:07 Final Fantasy 7 Remake UPDATE - Another blow for FF7 fans hoping...
- 13:06 REVIEW: Aladdin Preston Charter Theatre