Germany bomb threat: Jaber al-Bakr 'caught by three Syrians'
Three Syrian refugees in Germany overpowered a bomb suspect who gave elite commandos the slip and sparked a two-day manhunt, police have revealed.
Police believe Jaber al-Bakr, also a Syrian, was planning a bomb attack and had links to so-called Islamic State.
They failed to arrest him on Saturday and found 1.5kg of explosives in his flat in the eastern city of Chemnitz.
He made his way south to Leipzig and sought help from fellow Syrians, who then handed him to police.
Details of the role of the three Syrians emerged slowly as police feared they could be at risk of reprisal.
The suspect... read more
- 09:44 Former soldier Colin fights a new battle for the charity that saved...
- 09:44 Two men stabbed in Harrogate - police linking attacks
- 09:40 Down Memory Lane - 1990 in pictures
- 09:40 Pet lovers celebrate as Melton is named the UK’s most dog-friendly...
- 09:39 'Anyone would think Wolves had won the Premier League' - Steve...
- 09:38 Case brought by Lloyds shareholders is ‘fundamentally flawed’
- 09:38 Stranger Things star Finn Wolfhard fires agent after former client...
- 09:38 Sowerby Bridge's Dama Cheese shines light on UK start-ups
- 09:38 Aldi to release chocolate wine for Christmas
- 09:38 Joel Campbell keen to leave Arsenal by making Real Betis...
- 09:37 Aldi to release chocolate wine for Christmas
- 09:37 BREAKING NEWS: Derbyshire road closed by 'police incident'
- 09:35 Arsenal news: Mesut Ozil hates Manchester United links - he wants...
- 09:35 Warwickshire Police Detective Sergeant receives Queen’s Police Medal
- 09:33 Call to check oil tanks ahead of winter
- 09:33 Prestigious regional award for sewer project in town
- 09:33 Kirkby pensioner 'killed by blunt force trauma to the head'
- 09:32 Thugs, thieves, drunks and drugs - who's been convicted in Derby's...
- 09:32 BREAKING NEWS: Derbyshire road closed by 'police incident'
- 09:32 Charity festive card shop to be officially opened today
- 09:32 Rolling out the red carpet for children at film festival
- 09:30 ‘Several injured’ after knifeman launches attack in Munich
- 09:28 Captain Darren O’Dea declares that Dundee are in “good place” after...
- 09:28 Dundee United’s Fraser Fyvie looking for side to bounce back...
- 09:28 New Forfar boss Jim Weir relishing home debut as Ayr visit Station...
- 09:28 Dunfermline’s Ryan Williamson cheering on captain Callum Morris as...
- 09:28 Rugby failed to leave lasting impression on St Johnstone playmaker...
- 09:28 East Fife manager Darren Young determined to stay in play-off place
- 09:28 Raith Rovers manager Barry Smith to keep message simple at Stranraer
- 09:28 Cowdenbeath boss Billy Brown wants to see Blue Brazil bounce back