Germany and Turkey mark Solingen deadly racist attack
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Turkey's foreign minister have put aside recent diplomatic tensions to mark the 25th anniversary of one of post-war Germany's worst hate crimes.
They met survivors at a memorial.
On 29 May 1993 Neo-Nazis firebombed the home of a Turkish-German family in Solingen, killing two women and three girls, and injuring 14 others.
Bilateral ties have been in crisis over differences on human rights and a German ban on Turkish poll campaigning.
The German Foreign Ministry banned Turkish politicians from campaigning in the country ahead of the 24 June election, citing... read more
- 16:37 Hunt for sex attacker who raped tourist, 22, near Trafalgar Square
- 16:37 Birmingham buildings take step closer to Stirling Prize
- 16:37 'My escape from the hell of North Korea' - Bury-based refugee...
- 16:36 Fire breaks out at car window tinting business
- 16:36 Confusion reigns over fate of detained migrant children
- 16:36 The return of the Blackpool Belle and the story behind the song
- 16:36 Bank holiday if home nation reaches World Cup final
- 16:35 High Peak Magic Circle gets ready for Buxton Festival Fringe
- 16:35 Shooting gets underway on new film at Hartlepool's Headland
- 16:32 Five of the best dog-friendly hotels in Scotland
- 16:31 Car overturns in crash on busy south Liverpool road
- 16:31 Drug cops on the trail of 'dangerous' MMA star who could be in Dubai
- 16:31 Carlsberg factory worked died ‘almost instantly’ after ammonia gas...
- 16:31 Harborough Energy co-operative launches crowdfunding initiative
- 16:29 Whitehaven crash between car and scooter causes long tailbacks
- 16:26 How to get cheap tickets at the Edinburgh Festival and Fringe
- 16:26 Trying to be tech savvy
- 16:24 Nick Kyrgios puts on serving masterclass to take Kyle Edmund out...
- 16:24 Irrfan Khan: Bollywood actor flooded with support after cancer letter
- 16:24 Philadelphia Phillies fan injured by flying hot dog launched by...
- 16:24 What does womp womp mean? What Corey Lewandowski said on the US...
- 16:22 Police concern for woman missing from Sutton
- 16:21 Adolf Hitler’s Nazi cutlery goes on sale for £1,000
- 16:21 Here’s where you can seek support if you have learning disabilities
- 16:21 Family’s plea to legalise medicinal cannabis for their epileptic son
- 16:20 Alzheimer's link to herpes virus in brain, say scientists
- 16:20 Warning issued over bogus recycling bins
- 16:20 See what changes have been made at Coventry Airport
- 16:20 Arsenal news: Unai Emery names five 'untouchable' players to build...
- 16:20 Premier League done deals: Every confirmed transfer so far in the...