German lawmakers to quiz ECB's Draghi over monetary policy
European Central Bank President Mario Draghi is set to face tough questions from German lawmakers on Wednesday about the bank's ultra-loose monetary policy, just as the ECB is considering even more stimulus to revive inflation.
Relations have cooled between Europe's largest economy and the euro zone's central bank, which has cut interest rates aggressively in recent years and pumped more than a trillion euros into the economy through asset purchases.
But with growth in the 19-member euro zone still mediocre and inflation barely above zero - well short of the ECB's target of nearly 2 percent... read more
- 04:39 NEW SMUGGLER SCOURGE: 17,000 Traffickers 'using Facebook to smuggle...
- 04:39 Mexico hints it will start TRADE WAR with the US if Donald Trump...
- 03:59 Boredom in Britain at a new low
- 03:40 Self-medicating by drinking wine before bedtime will only make your...
- 03:40 Five teenagers to face court on terror charges
- 03:35 David Miliband 'deeply concerned' for Labour's future
- 03:15 Let DEMOCRACY speak: Marine Le Pen SLAMS media for censoring French...
- 03:03 YOU’RE ON YOUR OWN: China CLASHES with Donald Trump over North...
- 02:59 Bolivia's San Pedro 'tourist prison', 20 years on
- 02:59 Could the next Messi come from Nigeria as Barcelona launches Lagos...
- 02:59 IS in Afghanistan: How successful has the group been?
- 02:59 Kim Jong-nam death: Unravelling the mystery
- 02:59 Did Trump win because his name came first in key states?
- 02:57 Move into a nursing home while you're still fit, says care tsar as...
- 02:53 HMRC rejects tax avoidance criticism
- 02:52 Can community projects offer a way to affordable care?
- 02:41 Illegal air pollution levels endangering health of capital's children
- 02:32 Guatemala expels abortion boat crew
- 02:32 Egypt's Coptic Christians flee Sinai after deadly attacks
- 02:21 City homes 'least affordable since 2009'
- 02:12 Boris Johnson to visit Egypt for talks with president
- 02:07 ADM brokerage arm shifts more trades onto computer screens
- 02:07 Alphabet's self-driving car unit sues Uber with trade theft charge
- 01:53 Fashion house BCBG Max Azria prepares for bankruptcy: sources
- 01:49 Smuggled rare ploughshare tortoises go on display for first time
- 01:49 China's Panchen Lama says to uphold 'glorious tradition' of patriotism
- 01:42 Get your dancing shoes on for Grimsby's Strictly Get Dancing
- 01:42 What mummy really thinks about everyday family life
- 01:42 Hankies and sticks: Why do people take up Morris dancing?
- 01:39 Southampton boss Claude Puel still stung by Ryan Giggs' winner in 2007