Gene-edited wheat 'with 85 per cent less gluten': Scientists 'cut and paste' sections of DNA to produce strain that could be eaten by coeliacs
The trend for gluten free food has led scientists to use gene editing techniques to greatly reduce gluten in wheat.
Sufferers of Coeliac disease cannot eat gluten as the wheat protein can cause major damage to their digestive systems.
Coeliacs have to avoid eating bread, cake and pasta and other foodstuffs made with wheat.
Instead they have to eat foods made with alternative flours, such as those made of rice.
They could be helped by researchers who have created a new strain of wheat that comes close to eliminating the form of gluten that triggers an immune reaction in people with the... read more
- 15:16 Three children dead in house fire as girl, 3, fights for her life...
- 15:16 Anger as arsonists dump ‘burnt to a crisp’ car outside church
- 15:15 Kell Brook confirms date for return and reveals why he has made...
- 15:15 Who is Derby County 'transfer target' Josh Vela?
- 15:15 Pinewoods group's plea to council over Irongate Field
- 15:14 $esc.html($content.name)
- 15:14 Is it safe to travel to New York? Latest travel update after bomb...
- 15:14 Drunk Worksop dad crashed car into ex’s garden wall
- 15:14 Alternative Christmas gift ideas for whisky lovers
- 15:13 Television presenter Keith Chegwin dies at the age of 60 after long...
- 15:13 Two burglars jailed after shopping spree using stolen bank card
- 15:13 Batman SHOCK: Did Jeffrey Dean Morgan just CONFIRM he’s playing the...
- 15:13 Star Wars 9: Daisy Ridley in TEARS over JJ Abrams returning to...
- 15:13 Heavyweight boxer Tyson Fury is coming to KCOM Stadium in 2018
- 15:12 Keith Chegwin dies aged 60 - and how he lent his support to a...
- 15:12 Meningitis plea from family follows six-year-old's death
- 15:12 Need help to cover your winter heating bill? This scheme could help...
- 15:11 Unemployment, homelessness and poverty still MAJOR issues for...
- 15:11 Aldermen and alderwomen honour for six former county councillors
- 15:10 Arsenal News: Real Madrid eye Sanchez swap, Man Utd ace to move...
- 15:10 Dozens of South Yorkshire properties hit by power cut
- 15:10 What is Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis? Condition explained as Keith...
- 15:10 Macron's Catalonia: French leader under pressure as Corsican...
- 15:10 New York bombing MAP: Where was the terror attack in Times Square...
- 15:08 Snow puts paid to Rotary club’s seasonal Melton Santa Fun Run
- 15:08 Where to take your kids to see Santa in Derbyshire
- 15:08 Two Banbury teenagers charged over robbery
- 15:08 Fleetwood care home plan is deferred
- 15:08 Maryport Navy Club closure fears
- 15:08 Aldermen and alderwomen honour for six former county councillors