Gateshead football team's match abandoned after men turned up in balaclavas carrying weapons
A football match was abandoned after crowd trouble resulted in several men turning up dressed in balaclavas and carrying weapons.
Wrekenton Blue Star , based in Gateshead, was playing Thornaby Village at Teesdale Park on Acklam Road in Stockton-On-Tees.
The game kicked off at 2pm on Sunday, October 16.
However, around an hour into the match several spectators started arguing.
Police say one man then left the park and came back with several other men, all wearing balaclavas and carrying weapons.
Nobody was injured but the game was abandoned at half-time.
Anyone with information, particularly... read more
- 15:59 UPDATE: Missing nine-year-old found
- 15:59 Road closures ahead for Lancaster motorway junction
- 15:59 Corby paedophile who sexually assaulted young girl jailed for four...
- 15:58 Halifax sex offender ensnared by ‘paedophile hunters’
- 15:58 Tributes planned for Anthony Foley ahead of Munster's cup tie with...
- 15:58 Celtic boss Brendan Rodgers: Kolo Toure WILL be ready to face...
- 15:58 Cecilia Ekback wins historical fiction award for first novel Wolf...
- 15:56 Liverpool star sends message to Jurgen Klopp ahead of West Brom clash
- 15:56 UPDATE: Missing nine-year-old found
- 15:55 Pogba Manchester United dream revealed by Chelsea boss Conte
- 15:55 U.S., UK growth data to give steer on monetary policy
- 15:55 Halifax sex offender ensnared by ‘paedophile hunters’
- 15:55 Gypsy folk-rock band with big reputation set for Marchington show
- 15:53 EU 'not capable' of signing Canada deal
- 15:53 How one woman overcame a debilitating stammer to follow her dream...
- 15:53 Court list: Who has been up before Scarborough magistrates?
- 15:52 Child seat product recalled over safety fears
- 15:52 Spooky goings-on on Pumpkin Path in Leamington town centre
- 15:52 Rafa Benitez: This is what being at the top of the Championship...
- 15:52 County Hall move ‘set for full council debate’
- 15:52 Devastation for family after tragic cat deaths
- 15:52 Snapped: Key man trains with Arsenal despite injury fears ahead of...
- 15:50 Battle of Britain Memorial centre faces funding change
- 15:50 Countdown to Horncastle Christmas Tree Festival
- 15:50 Readers’ letters
- 15:49 Missing Notts girl, 14, may be in Derbyshire
- 15:49 Air Ambulance scrambled to Alfreton ladder fall
- 15:49 Diana's stepmother Raine Spencer dies aged 87
- 15:48 Man was so high on drugs he could hardly remember his destructive...
- 15:47 Parks across Harrogate district up for national award