Gareth Southgate wants England job full-time... as interim boss earmarks Wayne Rooney for midfield role
Gareth Southgate — whose first game as England manager has seen 88,000 Wembley tickets sold — wants to be considered for the job on a full-time basis.
The 46-year-old has been put in interim charge of the national team following the sacking of Sam Allardyce last week and will oversee the next four games — against Malta, Slovenia, Scotland and Spain.
Publicly, Southgate has been non-committal about whether he wants the job on a permanent basis. But it is understood the former Middlesbrough manager would like to continue in the role once his initial stint is over.
ENGLAND FIXTURES Saturday... read more
- 01:59 Is John Travolta’s Gotti one of the worst movies ever?
- 01:59 Google predicts when people will die ‘with 95% accuracy’
- 01:58 Drug 'reduces hearing loss' after childhood cancer treatment
- 01:56 The homes in Grimsby on sale from just £18,200 for first time buyers
- 01:55 O2 changes post policy after racist hate mail sent out
- 01:55 'I like coming to school because I get to eat here' - many children...
- 01:47 Cases of cancer in elderly to surge by 2035, report says
- 01:40 Youngsters clean for the Queen’s 90th
- 01:37 Bella Hadid looks every inch the trendsetter as she takes to the...
- 01:37 Sir Lenny Henry continues to display his dramatic weight loss at...
- 01:37 Love Island's Dr. Alex FINALLY gets the girl as 'emotional' fans...
- 01:37 Love Island: Laura, 29, tells 'childish' partner Wes, 20, to 'grow...
- 01:37 Brooklyn Beckham grapples with his camera as aspiring photographer,...
- 01:37 Ant McPartlin and his estranged wife Lisa Armstrong 'had an...
- 01:34 Ant McPartlin's new romance leaves Lisa Armstrong's parents worried...
- 01:27 Tech sector boom delivers £3.9 billion boost to economy
- 01:20 Dark rumours in Westminster over Tory whips’ behaviour
- 01:11 Where can UK students study for free?
- 01:04 US envoy Nikki Haley berates human rights groups
- 01:03 'Should I stay or should I go now?'
- 01:02 No sign of North Korea dismantling nuclear weapons, Mattis admits
- 01:02 Leicester City heap more misery on Huddersfield Town
- 00:59 in-Cumbria Business Breakfast hears county must gear up for...
- 00:59 Kestrel chick makes lucky escape
- 00:59 Millom mayor hosting meeting for public pool
- 00:58 Anne McIntosh: Division at G7 casts shadow over trade and Brexit
- 00:58 Jayne Dowle: Cannabis may be a cure but drugs culture is a sickness
- 00:58 Diana Johnson: Grayling’s rail farce isn’t funny, he must quit now
- 00:58 The Yorkshire Post says: Mobile menaces. Should schools ban phones?
- 00:53 Meghan Markle leads Royals at Ascot - in pictures