Garden ponds 'playing role' in frog disease spread
Garden ponds are playing a role in the spread of deadly frog diseases across the UK, a study suggests.
Ranaviruses can infect amphibians, reptiles and fish. In the UK, they have devastated common frog populations.
This research suggests that the introduction of infected animals from aquatic retailers into ponds or moving species between different ponds may be exacerbating the problem.
The findings are published in the Proceedings of the Royal Society B.
Dr Trent Garner, from the Zoological Society of London (ZSL), told BBC News: "The virus seems to be spreading at a rate that exceeds... read more
- 10:55 Juventus mocked over new badge design with Twitter users branding...
- 10:54 How long have I got to spend my old five pound notes before they're...
- 10:54 Woman sacked after ex posted revenge porn to her boss
- 10:54 Overwatch PS4, Xbox One, PC UPDATE: Blizzard adds ESSENTIAL new...
- 10:54 Coventry City Red Bull takeover rumour takes off after Twitter...
- 10:54 Marcus Rashford to West Ham: Man United star told to make shock...
- 10:54 Japan brewer Asahi says it is open to more M&A after Europe beer deals
- 10:54 Man charged after 12-hour stand-off at flat
- 10:53 Opinions sought on future of historic Grange lido
- 10:53 Marcus Rashford reveals two biggest influences at Manchester United
- 10:53 BREAKING: EasyJet flight diverted to Malaga after 'severe...
- 10:53 Hull City's Ehab Allam says supporters not painting club in best...
- 10:52 Teenager has been found
- 10:51 Police issue warning after elderly woman nearly tricked into...
- 10:51 Lloyd's of London to announce new EU outpost in coming months
- 10:51 Tottenham striker sends title warning to Chelsea
- 10:51 Man killed in Broughton A5104 crash suffered multiple organ failure
- 10:50 Spot On Lancashire has something for everyone
- 10:50 India teenagers die taking selfies with train
- 10:49 Baker spends 35 hours making life-sized Conor McGregor cake...
- 10:48 Club celebrates 25 years of friendship
- 10:47 DOW JONES FUTURES DOWN 0.4 PCT, S&P 500 AND NASDAQ FUTURES DOWN...
- 10:47 Centre-right leads EU speaker race in first vote
- 10:47 Nadia was a princess for day in Leamington and Warwick thanks to...
- 10:47 Why does a bit of snow plunge Britain into transport chaos?
- 10:47 Two Castles Run entry will be through ballot system for first time
- 10:47 Figures show 40 learners are caught using driving test...
- 10:47 Traders announced for Warwick food festival
- 10:47 Leeds in talks over January midfielder deal
- 10:46 New nursery for Kettering primary school