Gangs of beggars targeting Sunderland after being kicked out of other areas
Gangs of organised beggars are traveling to Sunderland after being kicked out of other cities.
Sunderland City Council made the startling revelation in a report to cabinet as it launched a consultation which could see bin rakers and beggars handed £75 fixed penalty notices or fines of up to £1,000 under a proposed Public Space Protection Order (PSPO).
However, already campaigners said the fines would be “pointless and counter-productive” and will cause distress to those most in need.
Campaigner Chris Crozier said: “Like most cities across the UK, in Sunderland the signs of poverty, social... read more
- 07:59 Live: Breaking news and travel from Coventry, Warwickshire and...
- 07:58 Aston Villa and John Terry: A comprehensive look at the story so...
- 07:58 Toshiba estimates bigger loss for past year on Westinghouse, lawsuits
- 07:58 Italy - Factors to watch on June 23
- 07:58 South African parliament opposes calls to change central bank mandate
- 07:57 13 Premier League players who could miss the start of the season...
- 07:57 RISE AND SHINE: Latest travel news, weather and fun features
- 07:56 East Neuk’s De Profundis digs deep to celebrate the mining heritage...
- 07:56 Kylian Mbappe to Arsenal: Exodus to help fund move with striker...
- 07:56 Terminally ill South Shore woman dies after dream wedding
- 07:56 Man left with serious injuries after alleged assault at Staveley pub
- 07:56 RISE AND SHINE: Latest travel news, weather and fun features
- 07:55 Watchdog clamps down on online gambling
- 07:55 Pupils scoop silver at Gardener’s World
- 07:55 Radio station to host hospice charity’s business club
- 07:55 Martin Flanagan: Chancellor tries to ease Brexit concerns
- 07:53 Germans' purchasing power grows at slowest pace in more than three...
- 07:53 Video: Johnny Depp jokes about Donald Trump assassination
- 07:53 Tiemoue Bakayoko to Chelsea: Details include five-year deal and...
- 07:53 Safety concerns as Carlisle road cracks in heat
- 07:52 Tamworth FC: Time running out for early-bird offer
- 07:52 Tamworth FC's Louis is raring to go after his injury hell
- 07:52 Funding pot of up to £5,000 open for youth groups in South Holland...
- 07:52 British and Irish Lions can end New Zealand's unbeaten run at Eden...
- 07:51 UPDATE 1-UK Stocks-Factors to watch on June 23
- 07:51 Premier League transfer gossip: Arsenal lead race for Kylian...
- 07:49 GCSE students shine at ArtWaves
- 07:49 Terrifying armed robbers traumatised family after they were held at...
- 07:48 Headbutt attack inside Notts pub caught on video
- 07:48 Disruption to Nottingham tram services due to tram failure