Galling Galle is far from England's venue of choice
England have never quite come to terms with Test cricket in Galle. Three times they have given it a go and successively have been done by an innings; clung on desperately to get the worse of a draw; and finally were on the verge of another walloping when enough rain fell on the final day four years ago to raise a rice crop.
They have been Murali'd and Chaminda'd; De Silva'd and Atapattu'd; Mahela'd and Sanga'd; roasted and dehydrated; umpired into despair and felt the pernickety wrath of the beautifully hand-written perfumed English of a match referee, Hanumant Singh. Scenic this old ground... read more
- 00:44 Ambulance staff face rise in physical and verbal sexual assaults
- 00:44 Children of alcoholic parents to get help in £6m scheme
- 00:43 Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino admits he may DOWNGRADE FA Cup...
- 00:43 Liverpool defender Virgil van Dijk serves up soothing Roma therapy...
- 00:43 Neymar told why he must join Real Madrid and cannot afford to stay...
- 00:42 One in eight birds is threatened with extinction, global study finds
- 00:42 More than 60% of Harrogate residents would vote to remain in Europe...
- 00:42 Michael Cohen case shines light on Sean Hannity's property empire
- 00:42 Martin Lewis sues Facebook over fake ads with his name
- 00:41 More than 60% of Harrogate residents would vote to remain in Europe...
- 00:34 What does a Trump-Macron bromance mean for the world?
- 00:32 Eliza excels at dressage competition
- 00:31 Labour promises four more bank holidays if it wins general election
- 00:29 Big rise in numbers of NHS Tayside clinical staff retiring early
- 00:28 How one woman started a cosmetics empire at 29
- 00:28 Interest rates to rise twice this year, says EY Item Club
- 00:26 Manzoor Pashteen: How Pakistan's Pashtun found a voice
- 00:26 Viewpoint: The pitfalls of India's biometric ID scheme
- 00:25 Andrew Landry clinches maiden PGA Tour title at Valero Texas open...
- 00:25 Atletico Madrid 0-0 Real Betis: Bore draw leaves La Liga title...
- 00:25 Serie A players wear red paint on their cheeks to help raise...
- 00:25 More than 60% of Harrogate residents would vote to remain in Europe...
- 00:23 Derbyshire contestants wanted for The Family Chase
- 00:20 More than 60% of Harrogate residents would vote to remain in Europe...
- 00:20 Climate change: Michael Bloomberg offers $4.5m for Paris deal
- 00:15 St George’s Day: 5 other Georges worthy of being canonised as...
- 00:13 Snooker legend O’Sullivan thrills sell out crowd with exhibition
- 00:12 Britain needs gender equality quotas now, Fawcett Society says
- 00:10 Sudoku 4041 easy
- 00:04 Sinitta to ‘dish the dirt’ on relationship with Simon Cowell:...