Gabon president Bongo sworn in after disputed poll
Gabon President Ali Bongo was sworn in for a second term on Tuesday and called for unity at a low-key ceremony following a razor-thin election victory whose integrity was questioned by international observers.
Bongo's victory by less than 6,000 votes has drawn unwelcome scrutiny on the president, whose family has ruled the oil-producing state in Central Africa for 49 years.
France called for a recount and the European Union said it detected anomalies in Bongo's stronghold province of Haut-Ogooue, where he won 95 percent of the vote on a 99.9 percent turnout. Opposition leader Jean Ping said... read more
- 04:18 Jayne Dowle: Potholes bring misery to drivers - something must be...
- 03:52 Austin bomb suspect left video 'confession' before he died
- 03:24 ABC and Guardian 'dead to me', says Dutton after South African visa...
- 03:16 Top 10 beaches in Maine
- 03:10 LSD's impact on the brain revealed in groundbreaking images
- 03:08 Congress unveils $1.3tn spending bill in bid to avoid government...
- 03:00 James Somerville-Meikle: Sporting shoots need the bridges with...
- 03:00 Steve Gillingham: Businesses must support push for deal
- 02:59 Top 10 beaches in St Kitts
- 02:55 Westminster Bridge attack victim's sister refuses to dwell on killer
- 02:43 Marielle Franco: Vivacious fighter shaped by the favela
- 02:43 Rutland County Council reaches compromise with Centrebus on Number...
- 02:40 South Africa and the fable of the Guptas
- 02:40 Was Israel prepared to kill a journalist to get to Arafat?
- 02:37 Australia joins UN condemnation of Cambodia but refugee deal remains
- 02:29 Joseph Mifsud: The mystery professor behind Trump Russia inquiry
- 02:29 The community of 2,000 people with 151 cases of sex crime
- 02:26 Justine Damond shooting: why did police refuse to talk to...
- 01:57 The Yorkshire Post says: Government is failing rural life -...
- 01:57 The Yorkshire Post says: Yorkshire success - Tourism worth £8bn to...
- 01:45 Australian critic of Beijing refused entry to China and deported
- 01:44 Peter Madsen describes ‘horrible’ and ‘insane’ dismembering of Kim...
- 01:27 Chronic fatigue trial results 'not robust', new study says
- 01:27 Tai chi recommended to fight fibromyalgia
- 01:19 Labour MSP Anas Sarwar slams Clyde and SFA for lenient treatment of...
- 01:16 Kim Wilde says aliens inspired her pop comeback
- 01:16 'Radical change' needed on countryside
- 01:16 A blueberry muffin 'could have day's worth of sugar'
- 01:09 Records bring promotion for Spenborough athletes
- 01:09 MILL ARCHWAY IS WHERE THE ART IS