Future of quiet carriages on trains under scrutiny after passenger palaver
A train operator is considering scrapping its quiet carriages and is asking its passengers whether they want them to stay or go.
South Western Railway says quiet zones can be "a thorn in the side" of some passengers, but a "safe haven" for others.
It has decided to put the matter to bed by asking people to give their views in an online vote.
A blog on the operator's website says: "Generally some people like them, some don't, and views vary on whether they add true value to customer experience on our trains.
"The reality is we are not able to police these areas... read more
- 08:32 The memorable things you can only do in Leeds
- 08:32 Toddler barricades herself in room with toys after being...
- 08:32 Near misses between aircraft and drones triple in just two years
- 08:31 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 08:30 Man attacked in Barrow town centre
- 08:30 It takes 15 minutes of burpees to burn off a creme egg, but that’s...
- 08:28 Vaping warning as study reveals E-cigs cause liver disease
- 08:28 British woman killed in Syria after leaving home to join fight...
- 08:28 Russia election: Muted Western reaction to Putin victory
- 08:27 10 words you’ll only know if you went to school in Scotland
- 08:26 Jeremy Clarkson’s son Finlo sports neck brace and crutches on...
- 08:25 Doncaster WhatsApp users warned about new scam
- 08:24 Elderly woman airlifted to hospital after cliff fall
- 08:24 12 words and phrases you'll only know if you are from Lancashire
- 08:24 Why Cuba’s colourful capital Havana should be your next city break
- 08:24 Man seen 'brandishing a knife' in the street in Barrow
- 08:23 Keeping the Lancashire coast safe for four decades
- 08:22 Crack cocaine of gambling' stakes should be cut says regulator
- 08:22 Elderly woman airlifted to hospital after cliff fall
- 08:22 Hold back that sneeze! You might be a flu super-spreader
- 08:21 Ben Stokes bowls five overs in indoor nets as England star boosts...
- 08:21 Lionel Messi hints he will 'give up' on Argentina if they don't win...
- 08:21 Pound to Euro exchange rate: Sterling retains its rise following...
- 08:21 Real Madrid 'agree deal in principle' to sign Bayern Munich forward...
- 08:21 ANZ admits not checking key details of loan applications made via...
- 08:20 Ant McPartlin arrested on suspicion of drink-driving
- 08:20 Vladimir Putin sails to Russia election victory
- 08:20 Sheep has rope tied around neck in bizarre rural Leicestershire attack
- 08:20 RISE AND SHINE: Start your day with us
- 08:19 Delayed openings at some Yorkshire schools