Fury as Swiss government plan to back down to EU bullying on immigration
Swiss voters have long been leery of ceding too much power to the 28-nation bloc that surrounds the historically neutral Alpine country and buys most of its exports, and rising EU immigration has stoked fears for Swiss identity and sovereignty.
Parliament is due next month to wrap up legislation meant to curb immigration from the EU by giving hiring preference to local people despite criticism this would infringe on the free movement of people, a pillar of EU policy and the price of enhanced Swiss access to the EU single market.
Brussels has taken a hard line on free movement of people to... read more
- 13:57 McDonald's branch in Carlisle closed for a month for refit
- 13:57 PS4 games news: CHEAP new sale items are too good to turn down
- 13:57 Children left without heating after break-in at school
- 13:57 Take That split? Gary Barlow speaks out on dwindling band members...
- 13:57 More ‘smart motorway’ work to begin next week
- 13:57 Can YOU see the hidden portrait? Japanese psychologist reveals...
- 13:57 Man United Transfer News: Mourinho jets abroad to sign £35m man,...
- 13:57 Prince’s Trust team smashes target
- 13:57 Students to make Tour trophy from chocolate
- 13:57 Watch: Drugs raid and police crackdown sees four arrested across...
- 13:57 Karen completes charity challenge to swim length of English Channel...
- 13:56 More ‘smart motorway’ work to begin next week
- 13:56 Did robbery victim bang on your car window?
- 13:56 Stockport County v Tamworth: Players and fans are urged to believe
- 13:55 More ‘smart motorway’ work to begin next week
- 13:54 Westminster terror attack: Police make two more 'significant' arrests
- 13:54 Woman robbed by man holding a jagged metal can
- 13:53 Syrian SDF forces reach Tabqa dam-Raqqa campaign spokeswoman
- 13:53 Syria's Ja'afari says U.S. action on Raqqa would be illegitimate
- 13:53 Flowers for fallen hero
- 13:53 Watch: Slideshow of your Hartlepool Red Nose Day pictures.
- 13:53 Aberdeen legend Mark McGhee hailed by Minecraft guru after creating...
- 13:52 Redrow Homes loses bid to build 170 homes in Newport
- 13:52 Did robbery victim bang on your car window?
- 13:52 Fancy a free Domino's pizza this weekend? Here's how you can get one
- 13:52 Warning: Pupils urged not to approach 2 men in white van near...
- 13:51 Iceland owner ditches London market move over Brexit
- 13:51 Children's charity praises victim who came forward decade after...
- 13:50 Video: Do you recognise burglars who targeted Hull business?
- 13:50 Brexit: What would 'no deal' look like?