Furness engineering student wins scholarship
Joe Bell has won the Barrow and District Association of Engineers’ top award and a prize of £1,000 towards his university studies.
The student, who achieved an A* and two As in his A-Levels at Barrow Sixth Form College, is now studying mechanical engineering at Newcastle University.
He was selected as the top student in the area by a panel of experts who recognised his aptitude for engineering as well as academic excellence.
Joe said: “The process was very formal which enabled me to practice attending a formal interview and also having to give a presentation to people I had never met. I had... read more
- 06:52 Should drivers give way to cyclists when turning left?
- 06:51 EXCLUSIVE: This is the secret behind Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s...
- 06:50 Justice secretary praises our campaign calling for tougher...
- 06:50 The spirit of Christmas past
- 06:49 Blundering thief told cops: 'You are after me, I have robbed...
- 06:49 Revealed: 5 new shops planned in Morrisons Festival Park expansion
- 06:49 Family's 'lucky escape' after van torched by arsonists narrowly...
- 06:49 Christmas comes early for 18,492 Stoke-on-Trent City Council...
- 06:49 Caught on camera: Picture released of 'Stoke-on-Trent's most...
- 06:46 Crowe resigns as Brig manager
- 06:38 Solomon Islands rocked by another major earthquake
- 06:38 After impeachment, South Korea prime minister urges calm, vigilance
- 06:30 Justice secretary praises our campaign calling for tougher...
- 06:29 £25 million green resort plan for Doncaster
- 06:28 Final piece of town vision is complete
- 06:21 Woman falsely claimed £46k benefits by saying she was single mother
- 06:21 When should parents tell their children the truth about Santa Claus?
- 06:20 '400 kill themselves' after release from police custody
- 06:15 Patients failing to attend hospital appointments in Derby are...
- 06:13 No objection to removal of payphones in Skegness
- 06:11 Wellingborough mum backs £3m children’s hospital appeal
- 06:11 Wellingborough medical staff to walk for wounded veterans charity
- 06:11 Elderly couple threatened with screwdrivers during break-in at...
- 06:11 Health experts urge people in Northamptonshire to order repeat...
- 06:08 Play swings removed after safety inspection
- 06:08 Leader comment: Railway policing on right track
- 06:08 Leader comment: All victims of abuse must have equal justice
- 06:05 Traders' parking headache after section of High Street is newly...
- 06:02 Daventry housing group works with charity to help those with mental...
- 05:59 Russia 'intervened to promote Trump' - US intelligence