Funding cuts to repair Cumbria school buildings 'betray' children
Warnings have been made that Cumbria's schools will fall into a state of disrepair unless funding cuts are reversed as figures show the county is receiving less than half of the money it needs for repairs.
RELATED ARTICLE: Rural schools face funding black hole after grant for school meals is cut
Cumbria County Council is set to get £4,832,385 to maintain schools this year, however that is well below the £10m its own estimates suggest is needed annually to fully fix the backlog of maintenance issues.
It's always been a challenge and a battle. It's been underfunded for years. The figures were... read more
- 04:19 A dog which attacked a man in the street has been spared from being...
- 04:13 Weekend lie-ins could help you avoid an early death, study says
- 03:42 Undercover with badger baiters as network infiltrated
- 03:19 Portrait exhibition at Oxford showcases university's diversity
- 03:08 Judge spares Northampton man who attacked neighbour with baseball...
- 03:08 Otago University seizes and destroys copies of student magazine...
- 03:07 Gavin Grimm trans bathroom lawsuit backed by federal judge
- 02:47 Four in 10 Americans can't cover a $400 emergency expense, Fed finds
- 02:45 Prehistoric women's arms 'stronger than those of today's elite rowers'
- 02:42 Oxford college to launch scholarship in attempt to address slavery...
- 02:30 Vase that 'we didn't like too much' is worth small fortune
- 02:30 Archbishop Philip Wilson to step down after sex abuse cover-up
- 02:25 Tesco to shed up to 1,700 jobs in new management shake-up
- 02:22 Archbishop Philip Wilson stands aside after child sexual abuse...
- 02:16 Trump may extend UK visit to play golf in Scotland
- 02:13 The new Royal Yacht Britannia – a £100m begging bowl?
- 02:08 Brexit: Hammond rejects business calls for customs union
- 02:05 Mexico: brazen daylight shootout turns Guadalajara into war zone
- 02:01 Wayne Bennett to consider another club if Broncos replace him
- 01:53 Can English remain the 'world's favourite' language?
- 01:53 David Lammy: 'Hate mail won't scare or silence me'
- 01:53 London Ambulance Service taken out of special measures
- 01:53 Call for greater oversight of recommendations of public inquiries
- 01:50 Lauren Goodger appears to make thinly-veiled dig at former TOWIE...
- 01:46 Colombia conflict: Swapping the battlefield for the football pitch
- 01:36 Manchester united in love as city turns out to remember 22 victims...
- 01:34 Australia free trade deal talks to push for greater access to EU's...
- 01:31 UB40's Ali Campbell: 'We're still cool'
- 01:08 Are sweeteners healthier than sugar?
- 01:06 Stephanie Davis' return to Hollyoaks: Actress reads her new script...