Fujitsu to cut up to 1,800 jobs in UK
Japanese electronics firm Fujitsu has told staff of plans to cut up to 1,800 jobs in the UK.
The plan, which could see the first workers leaving in early 2017, is not linked to Brexit, the company said.
Trade unions called the cuts a "hammer blow" and said they would represent up to 18% of the company's UK workforce.
Fujitsu said the job losses would be across its UK offices, as it looks to compete better with foreign rivals that can offer IT services more cheaply.
The firm has a range of businesses in the UK, from software services to providing air conditioning units.
It has many... read more
- 09:50 Risking Beijing's ire, Vietnam begins dredging on South China Sea reef
- 09:50 Brazilian footballer takes first steps after plane crash that...
- 09:48 Son of Mackworth man Geoff Seggie due in court today charged with...
- 09:48 Government to respond in Brexit Supreme Court case
- 09:47 Marks confident Town can recover
- 09:47 Boss Page praises ‘unbelievable’ attitude of Cobblers players ahead...
- 09:46 Convenience of a new bar at Sheffield Town Hall site
- 09:46 Crashes cause delays on South Yorkshire motorway
- 09:46 Olympic athlete and Sheffield charity celebrate young people’s...
- 09:46 The rise of a former Victorian bakery: A dozen flats for sale on...
- 09:46 Tom Hughes not concerned by Scunthorpe RUFC's losing streak
- 09:45 Heartbreaking picture of boy, 7, attacked by bullies as he posted...
- 09:45 Anthony Joshua v Eric Molina: Undercard, start time, TV details and...
- 09:44 Ohio passes bill making abortion illegal as soon as heartbeat is heard
- 09:44 British holiday jet diverted after bomb squad finds suspicious...
- 09:42 Crews tackle fire at commercial building in Bispham
- 09:42 Midwife units see one in four mums transferred by ambulance to...
- 09:42 Sign up now for Colour Dash 2017
- 09:41 Beef scheme tagging kits on their way after delays
- 09:41 One lane closed on Southbound M61 due to accident
- 09:41 43 footballers facing a probe over 'tax dodge': Players set to be...
- 09:41 Sunderland defender Paddy McNair gives a thumbs up from his...
- 09:41 Trump picks climate sceptic Pruitt environment chief
- 09:41 50mph average speed cameras removed from the A180 - video
- 09:40 Four-vehicle crash causes A38 traffic chaos
- 09:39 LIVE: Four vehicles involved in collision on A38 at Clay Mills
- 09:38 GLOBAL MARKETS-Stocks, euro push higher as ECB stimulus plan looms
- 09:38 Japan's Abe may not be first sitting PM to visit Pearl Harbor -...
- 09:37 Cutting the ribbon at helpline’s new home
- 09:36 Transfer news LIVE: Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool updates as West...