FTSE retreats from near-record high, Tesco jumps
(ADVISORY- Follow European and UK stock markets in real time on the Reuters Live Markets blog on Eikon, see cpurl://apps.cp./cms/?pageId=livemarkets)
* FTSE 100 index ends 0.6 pct lower
* Tesco soars after strong results
* United Utilities retreats after downgrade
By Kit Rees and Atul Prakash
LONDON, Oct 5 Britain's top share index retreated on Wednesday after reaching to a near-record high in the previous day, with miner Polymetal slumping following concerns about its dividend payout and United Utilities hit by a broker downgrade.
However, Tesco shares surged after its results.
Russia's... read more
- 15:01 When do Burton Albion return for pre-season? All you need to know...
- 15:01 Ryanair CEO says keen on majority stake if decides to bid for Alitalia
- 15:01 Wimbledon 2017: Here's where you can play tennis in Burton and...
- 15:00 Weather warning for heavy rain and thunder in Oxfordshire issued by...
- 15:00 We’ll be taking a photo of this gorgeous dog’s fur to the hairdressers
- 14:59 Number of attack on South Yorkshire police officers doubles
- 14:59 Sheffield trophy row goes to appeal
- 14:59 Doncaster Big Brother winner becomes a mum - and shares photo of...
- 14:59 Death crash trial driver says horror will live with him forever
- 14:58 Wee Gers take on Killie Colts in Irn-Bru Cup
- 14:58 PICTURES: Belton Barrow Race 2017
- 14:57 Pervert snared after arranging to meet schoolgirl outside Greggs in...
- 14:56 Nicola Sturgeon ‘resets’ indyref2 plans
- 14:56 Jorge Mendes arrives at Spanish court to give evidence in tax fraud...
- 14:56 Leeds sign Spain youth international Madger Gomes after Liverpool...
- 14:55 Owen Kerry murder trial LIVE: Two found guilty of teenager's...
- 14:56 Lions coach Warren Gatland admits he was reluctant to play...
- 14:55 Met Office research finds parents encourage their children to tan...
- 14:55 Caravan smash on M62 causes 15 mile tailbacks
- 14:55 Doncaster Big Brother winner becomes a mum - and shares photo of...
- 14:54 Blackpool traders' anger at bridge closure plan
- 14:54 Teen kills father for raping sister
- 14:53 Weather warning for heavy rain and thunder in Lincolnshire issued...
- 14:53 The world’s fastest city centre zip line is coming to London
- 14:53 Galactica ride at Alton Towers is STILL closed
- 14:53 EXCLUSIVE: Barrow baby-shaker jailed for 19 years for 'monstrous'...
- 14:53 Iconic Aston Villa: A bumper selection of classic claret and blue...
- 14:53 Coast Road closed following serious collision
- 14:53 Andy Street unveils new £180k-a-year combined authority chief
- 14:52 Businss chamber unveils its new president