FTSE LIVE: Footsie rises but pound falls as Prime Minister confirms UK will head for the EU exit by April
08:30: The Footsie made gains at the opening bell, but the pound fell after Prime Minister Theresa May announced Article 50 will officially be signed by the end of March 2017 - sparking the the UK's exit from the European Union.
In early deals the FTSE 100 index was up 34 points at 6,932.7, having finished down 20.09 points at 6899.33 on Friday.
The FTSE was boosted by rises in Asia overnight. In Tokyo, the Nikkei 225 is up by 1.1 per cent and in Hong Kong, the Hang Seng is up by 1.2 per cent.
But all attention was on the pound, which has so far fallen 0.3 per cent against the dollar at... read more
- 09:44 Melania Trump finally pictured holding her husband’s hand
- 09:43 Bizarrely, Amazon is giving away 8,000 free bananas a day
- 09:42 Every player will get their chance in pre-season, says Grimsby Town...
- 09:42 UK growth estimate revised down
- 09:42 Boston Borough Council AGAIN reveal car registrations after...
- 09:41 National minute's silence to remember Manchester Arena attack victims
- 09:41 Northumberland Livestock
- 09:41 Grand finish to 'The McCoys' this afternoon as Warwick prepares to...
- 09:41 Transfer news LIVE: Latest from Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea...
- 09:40 Net migration falls 84,000 in 2016
- 09:40 Chelsea line-up predicted: Antonio Conte faces dilemma ahead of...
- 09:40 Donald Trump to have shaky meeting with EU in ‘hellhole’ Brussels
- 09:39 National minute's silence to remember Manchester Arena attack victims
- 09:39 Bradley Lowery 'doesn't have long left to live', heartbroken family...
- 09:39 Star Wars Last Jedi: Supreme Leader Snoke SHOCK news as his part in...
- 09:39 Pokemon Go Rock-type event end time: LAST CHANCE to catch Adventure...
- 09:39 Have Nottingham researchers found new treatment for diabetes patients?
- 09:38 Tate & Lyle profit jumps on weak sterling
- 09:38 Fighting corruption, Ukraine starts to judge its judges
- 09:38 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:37 Theresa May accused police of ‘scaremongering’ over spending cuts
- 09:37 Pigeon gets tiny backpack to smuggle drugs
- 09:37 RISE AND SHINE: Live travel updates, weather and more
- 09:37 Neighbour from hell repeatedly played Stayin’ Alive and Sweet Dreams
- 09:37 'I will honour those lost by living each day full of joy' Ariana...
- 09:37 Council investment campaign puts PR firm on awards list
- 09:35 Extra trains from West Yorkshire to London for Huddersfield Town fans
- 09:35 National minute's silence to remember Manchester Arena attack victims
- 09:35 Manchester terror attack: Further arrests made this morning
- 09:34 Rio Ferdinand believes Wayne Rooney and Michael Carrick could stay...