FTSE LIVE: Footsie rises but pound falls as Prime Minister confirms UK will head for the EU exit by April
08:30: The Footsie made gains at the opening bell, but the pound fell after Prime Minister Theresa May announced Article 50 will officially be signed by the end of March 2017 - sparking the the UK's exit from the European Union.
In early deals the FTSE 100 index was up 34 points at 6,932.7, having finished down 20.09 points at 6899.33 on Friday.
The FTSE was boosted by rises in Asia overnight. In Tokyo, the Nikkei 225 is up by 1.1 per cent and in Hong Kong, the Hang Seng is up by 1.2 per cent.
But all attention was on the pound, which has so far fallen 0.3 per cent against the dollar at... read more
- 12:53 East Midlands businesses invited to comment on Heathrow Airport...
- 12:53 Calderdale Council nominated for two national awards
- 12:53 Police warning after spate off attempted thefts from vans across...
- 12:51 East Midlands businesses invited to comment on Heathrow Airport...
- 12:51 This little dog was cruelly tied to a lamp-post and set on fire
- 12:51 Log on for new films on Flood Fridays
- 12:50 RBS chief refuses to rule out more branch closures in Scotland
- 12:49 Cheapest properties for sale in Wellingborough
- 12:48 Ilkeston and Heanor bakery invests cash in future
- 12:48 Alexis Sanchez transfer saga turns bizarre as random club wades in...
- 12:47 Ruth Davidson remains most popular leader - poll
- 12:47 Manchester United have achieved two transfer coups this month
- 12:47 Date for Harry Potter pop-up bar in Edinburgh revealed
- 12:47 He's a Manchester United player: Top pundit on Arsenal star Alexis...
- 12:47 Woman drove elbow into fellow drinker’s head in pub attack
- 12:46 £10 'goodwill voucher' for delivery driver's unsolicited texts...
- 12:46 Urgent plea to protect Harrogate beauty spot
- 12:46 Rotherham man placed on Sex Offenders' Register for life over...
- 12:46 Men with metal bar raid home of elderly Barnsley couple
- 12:46 Ilkeston and Heanor bakery invests cash in future
- 12:45 Fundraising events raise thousands for Sam Kyme’s boys
- 12:45 Army recruitment evening comes to Banbury
- 12:45 Donald Trump could have lived to 200 if he quit cheeseburgers...
- 12:44 Australian Open: Gregor Dimitrov wins EPIC five-set clash with...
- 12:44 Ronnie O'Sullivan makes shock claim about TWO fellow pros playing...
- 12:44 Man jailed for a second time after selling illicit cigarettes from...
- 12:44 Will it snow again in Sheffield? Your hour-by-hour weather forecast
- 12:44 Phillip Schofield CUTS interview after Anne Hegerty bombshell:...
- 12:42 Residents face Council tax hike and rise in cost of council services
- 12:42 Inquest opened into death of Brighouse dancer killed in car crash