FTSE LIVE: Footsie in the red despite gains in Asia, as pound weighs on investors minds after shedding 0.3%
08:30: The Footsie was easier in early trading despite overnight gains by Asia markets, consolidating last week's gain with the main focus on the weaker pound.
In opening trade, the FTSE 100 index was down 3.7 points at 7,040.7, having initially opened around 22 points higher, slipping back after Friday's 44.43 point advance.
Overnight in Asia, China's Shanghai Composite gained 1.2 per cent and the Shenzhen Composite rose 1.53 per cent, but with markets in Hong Kong and Japan closed for public holidays the overall mood was subdued.
The main focus was on the highly anticipated second US... read more
- 06:22 Buxton parents go back to school for cookery lessons
- 06:21 Aspiring footballers and coaches’ scholarship programme opportunity
- 06:21 New club in South Tyneside for budding runners
- 06:21 Charity night in memory of much-missed mum nets thousands of pounds
- 06:21 Five arrested at witnesses tell of death crash tragedy
- 06:18 Conor McGregor receives another title stripping threat from Dana White
- 06:18 Premier League table: Every team compared to last season after...
- 06:18 Former poet laureate concerned about fate of John Clare's poetry...
- 06:18 Man Utd news: Real Madrid plan £87.6m summer bid for David De Gea...
- 06:18 New PNE striker Moult caught Neil’s eye
- 06:18 Northamptonshire Police to review its tactics after town centre...
- 06:18 Sky Sports pundit Jamie Carragher takes shot at Gary Neville and BT...
- 06:18 Liverpool news LIVE updates: Sturridge ultimatum, Klopp bust-up,...
- 06:18 Bride with cancer shares powerful photo after losing hair...
- 06:16 Arsenal locked in talks over Lucas Moura deal after Spurs bid
- 06:11 Derby Arena unlikely to break even this year as taxpayers fork out...
- 06:10 Real Madrid star Karim Benzema will NOT leave Bernabeu despite...
- 06:09 David Galloway: NHS is being harmed by politically driven targets
- 06:09 Fiona Hyslop: Scotland’s aid spending is vital despite austerity at...
- 06:09 Academic: Holyrood and Westminster facing Brexit court battle
- 06:09 Medic calls for NHS to focus on patients instead of targets
- 06:09 Police force remains ‘strong and resilient’
- 06:10 Having trouble sleeping? Dry January could be giving you insomnia
- 06:09 Teachers threaten strike action over pay
- 06:09 Sectarian fight being undermined by cash cuts, claim Labour
- 06:08 Oh we do like to be beside the seaside
- 06:08 Newsagent of the Week
- 06:08 Ponies grazing coastal dune land
- 06:04 Council left red faced by parking ticket error
- 06:04 Darren McGarvey: Comparing Sturgeon to Thatcher is deeply offensive