FTSE LIVE: Footsie higher despite mixed global markets as oil jumps; pound weak ahead of UK inflation
08.10: The Footsie pushed higher in early trading, extending yesterday’s rally as oil prices bounced and the pound stayed weaker ahead of key UK inflation data today, although US and Asian markets were mixed as the dollar soared and bonds dropped.
In opening deals, the FTSE 100 index was up 37.8 points, or 0.6 per cent at 6,791.0, having closed 22.75 points higher yesterday as international stocks got a boost as the pound took a tumble versus the dollar.
US blue chips closed at fresh record highs again overnight, but the broader US indexes were lower, and Asian stocks came under pressure... read more
- 08:17 Toyota to expand hybrid system development to further cut emissions
- 08:16 Why Nottingham, Leicester and Birmingham are better places to...
- 08:16 Appeal after burglary in Gainsborough
- 08:15 Plea to help our lonely elderly this Christmas
- 08:15 Government facing High Court challenge over Prevent...
- 08:15 NHS whistleblowers 'being fired, gagged and blacklisted'
- 08:15 Prison inmate probed over 'Cop Killer' profile on Xbox Live
- 08:15 Nigel Farage on shortlist for Time magazine's person of the year award
- 08:15 Gagging orders 'used by a number of clubs to silence football...
- 08:14 Councillor on warpath over flood risk rating for Spalding
- 08:14 Plans for health services across Lincolnshire ‘leaked’
- 08:14 Granit Xhaka defends slow start to his Arsenal career ahead of...
- 08:14 Lidl set to open its Bourne store this Thursday
- 08:14 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'
- 08:12 Roxanne Pallett enlists celebrity support in mission to tackle...
- 08:12 Apprentice star celebrates soaring Cumberland sausage sales
- 08:12 GHA Coaches: Directors other coach company RJ’s of Wem has...
- 08:11 Staff brush up on DIY to help children’s charity
- 08:11 Thai king appoints new members to royal council - palace
- 08:10 Agent of Zlatan Ibrahimovic-endorsed Man Utd target delivers major...
- 08:09 Chelsea actually paid £28m for Eden Hazard – not £32.5m!
- 08:08 13 reasons Bali should be your next holiday destination
- 08:08 Thinking about dumping someone? Do it before December 17th*
- 08:08 Two-vehicle crash near Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire
- 08:08 Live: Traffic and travel updates for Leicester and Leicestershire
- 08:06 Arnold teacher jailed for carrying out abuse at prep school
- 08:06 Nottingham Forest news and gossip LIVE: Reds under-18 side in FA...
- 08:06 'Superhuman' Robin Hood Marathon winner smashes world record
- 08:06 REVEALED: Winners of days 5, 6 and 7 in our festive bonanza...
- 08:06 TIM FROHWEIN INQUEST: 'We loved him deeply and we always shall'