FTSE LIVE: Footsie flies high after Opec strikes deal in Algeria to cut production by 700,000 barrels a day
08:15: The Footsie was making significant gains in early trading after the oil producers' cartel - Opec - agreed a preliminary deal to cut production for the first time in eight years.
The potential deal sent oil prices surging yesterday evening, lifting shares across Asia overnight too.
In Japan the Nikkei jumped 1.5 per cent - clawing back the losses it incurred the previous day - with energy stocks the biggest gainers.
Shortly after the opening bell, the FTSE 100 was up 76.1 points at 6,924.8, having closed up 41.71 points at 6849.38 yesterday amid reports the German Government is... read more
- 00:13 Syria: US-backed rebels ‘colluding with Isis’
- 00:13 France: Parisians march against Macron’s latest diktats
- 00:13 New Zealand: Adern still in with a chance to be PM
- 00:13 NHS: Hospital waits reach record high
- 00:13 Picturehouse staff strike again
- 00:13 Chelsea News: I will miss Diego Costa, but Alvaro Morata is...
- 00:13 Tottenham News: Harry Kane is worth £100m like the best in the...
- 00:13 McDonnell: We’ll Slam the Lid on Tory Credit Crisis
- 00:07 How plastic became a victim of its own success
- 00:07 How jeans giant Levi Strauss got its mojo back
- 00:07 Labour to offer some women earlier retirement option
- 00:07 Gender pay gap widens for managers
- 00:07 Labour will allow women hit by state pension age changes to retire...
- 00:06 World of entertainment joins the NFL as they #taketheknee and defy...
- 00:06 Gaz Beadle gets new inking dedicated to his unborn child after...
- 00:02 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Ten million tune in for hottest opening...
- 00:02 EastEnders spoilers: James Willmott-Brown to KILL Kathy Beale in...
- 00:01 Kane able to be ‘one of the world’s best strikers’
- 00:01 Harry Leslie Smith: We can do it again
- 00:01 Sane shows his worth as City dominate at home
- 00:01 Blades boss gets birthday present in Steel City derby
- 00:01 Magpies denied a point by Seagulls
- 00:01 The state is closing its ranks on spycops
- 00:01 The secret state is the real threat to democracy
- 00:01 You can’t be a pessimist and a socialist
- 00:01 Corbyn makes correct EU call
- 00:01 North Korea: Pyongyang stages anti-US rally amid mud-slinging
- 00:01 South Africa: Communists condemn loss of 2,000 gold mining jobs
- 00:01 Women ‘too frightened to travel at night’
- 00:01 Big Issue’s Bird wants renters to get credit