FTSE LIVE: Footsie above 7,000 for first time since June 2015 as investors going shopping while pound continues its rapid decline
09:30: The Footsie was racking up gains for the second straight session today as the index flew above the 7,000 mark - a level last seen in June last year.
In early morning trading the index had reached 7,044.1, adding a fresh 65.3 point gain to its 84.19 points yesterday.
The 7,000 mark is a important milestone and comes as the pound fell another 0.5 per cent to $1.2772, its lowest level since 1985.
The FTSE 100 generally benefits from a falling pound because it is full of firms with large overseas businesses which earn in dollars and euros and thus see their profits flattered by exhange... read more
- 10:12 Manchester United defender Phil Jones admits 'dropping points is...
- 10:11 A hair-raising way to help
- 10:11 Loris Karius and Lucas Leiva must improve if Liverpool are to win...
- 10:09 Borough chief Kennedy won't be standing down even after 'unreserved...
- 10:09 Northampton’s biggest single social housing development for 30...
- 10:09 Nelson cousins meet TV stars
- 10:09 City designers join online marketplace
- 10:09 LIVE: A180 blocked after series of accidents
- 10:08 Prison sentence handed to Swadlincote lorry driver is criticised
- 10:07 CCTV image released after £2,400 jewellery theft
- 10:06 Scotland slips down world education rankings in key subjects
- 10:05 Can you spot all the angels on the Heckmondwike Angel Trail?
- 10:05 Updates as Spring Bank crash lorry driver Neville Fletcher sentenced
- 10:05 Manchester United Christmas gifts perfect for Man Utd fans in 2016
- 10:04 John Terry is nearing the end of his Chelsea career… but as he...
- 10:03 Updates: Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court evacuated
- 10:01 East Midlands Trains set to have more power over rail network
- 10:00 Barrow man due in court over alleged town centre stabbing in broad...
- 10:00 Catriona Munro: New rules let small firms sue cartels
- 10:00 Scotland’s top-selling food and drink brands revealed
- 09:59 Letters - December 1, 2016
- 09:57 £5m drugs haul one of the biggest ever seized on South Bank docks
- 09:57 LIVE: A180 blocked after series of accidents
- 09:57 Arsene Wenger: My thoughts on Granit Xhaka's start to life at Arsenal
- 09:57 These two clubs are the best teams in the country but Manchester...
- 09:57 Heage group braves wilderness to scoop top accolades
- 09:57 Chelsea target summer swoop for Karim Benzema: Real Madrid want...
- 09:57 UKIP donor mansplains Roman history to Professor Mary Beard
- 09:54 Plea for more organ donators in Kirklees this Christmas
- 09:54 Can you spot all the angels on the Heckmondwike Angel Trail?