FTSE falls on weaker mining shares; Unilever hit by Tesco row
Britain's top share index slipped to its lowest level in more than a week on Thursday, just days after setting a record high, with basic resources stocks selling off as metals prices fell following poor China trade data.
Unilever (ULVR.L) and Tesco (TSCO.L) both fell around 2 percent as the two companies got locked in a row over pricing caused by a plunge in sterling after Britain's vote in June to quit the European Union.
Mining companies were the worst performers, with the UK mining index .FTNMX1770 falling 2.5 percent, dragged down by a 1.3 to 3.0 percent decline in shares of Glencore... read more
- 07:33 Eclipse spectacle set to grip US public
- 07:31 Man Utd Transfer News: Draxler swoop claim, Adam tips Tierney,...
- 07:27 Sectarianism never results in progressive change
- 07:27 This is how Tory Britain makes people homeless
- 07:26 Nearly 70,000 sign petition urging more transport investment in...
- 07:26 Musk warns of 'killer robot' arms race
- 07:26 Parents on low incomes 'can't afford basics'
- 07:26 Crawford Falconer takes up post as UK's top trade negotiator
- 07:20 Olivia Attwood ‘dragged out of nightclub by security’ after fight...
- 07:20 North East news LIVE: Latest breaking news, sport, weather, traffic...
- 07:20 Real Madrid to ensure David De Gea joins by next summer: Keylor...
- 07:20 Arsenal Transfer News: Oxlade-Chamberlain exclusive, Draxler bid,...
- 07:18 Young woman 'left humiliated and in tears' by car salesman
- 07:18 Hull Live: Breaking news, traffic and travel from across East...
- 07:12 Even the capitalists think Trump’s toast
- 07:12 Can Syria be free after Isis?
- 07:12 Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho reveals the secret behind...
- 07:11 Plans for new Carlisle bar and restaurant revealed
- 07:07 How Jeff Sessions and Donald Trump have restarted the war on drugs
- 07:07 What it’s like to go to A&E when you’re having a mental health crisis
- 07:04 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte urged to sign another striker despite...
- 07:03 Venezuela: Caracas stands behind new assembly despite US smears
- 07:03 Syria: Four civilians killed by shells after Assad warning to West
- 07:03 South Africa: SACP steps up ANC war of rhetoric
- 07:02 BBC weather: Carol Kirkwood hugs curves in form-fitting navy jacket...
- 07:00 Response officers armed with tasers deployed to 'man wielding hammer'
- 07:00 Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor: How can I watch it in the UK...
- 06:59 Live: Breaking news from Liverpool and Merseyside Monday August 21
- 06:58 Bid to cut £1m from Kirklees Council's council tax discount bill
- 06:57 Missed targets show Scotland's NHS is barely clinging to life