FTSE ends strong quarter on weak note, hit by falling banks
Britain's top share index dropped on Friday, taking the shine off a strong quarter, as banks fell on renewed uncertainty over Deutsche Bank's financial health and as a spate of broker downgrades hit outsourcer Capita.
The FTSE 100 was down 78.33 points, or 1.1 percent, at 6,841.09 by 0820 GMT, with financials taking 25 points off the index.
Banks followed the European sector lower after Germany's largest lender admitted it had an image problem with investors, although the bank played down a report that counterparties are wary about doing business with it.
"It's mainly speculation at... read more
- 00:11 Strictly Come Dancing 2017: Seven couples perform DOUBLE dances in...
- 00:11 I'm a Celebrity 2017: Georgia Toffolo favourite to be crowned Queen...
- 00:07 Have astronomers solved the mystery of the 'engine' on Enceladus?...
- 00:02 West Ham lead the way as Premier League launch Rainbow Laces...
- 00:02 Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes brings speculation over Rangers move...
- 00:02 Crystal Palace boss Roy Hodgson sees Christian Benteke as vital for...
- 00:01 McIness fed up with Rangers speculation
- 00:01 Rodgers prepared for a physical cup final
- 00:01 Welsh Rugby says No to violence against women
- 00:01 Saudis play with fire in Lebanon
- 00:01 Skulduggery over Brexit
- 00:01 Vatican threat to sue altar boys who allege abuse
- 00:01 Georgia Toffolo allowed to wear banned make-up on I’m A Celebrity...
- 00:01 More than 200 Sufi Muslims killed in Egypt gun and bomb attack
- 00:01 Trump 'told Erdogan he'll stop arming the Kurds'
- 00:01 Staffing crisis ‘continues unabated’
- 00:01 Apprentices cheated of £3.50 an hour
- 00:01 Uber looks to appeal rights ruling in Supreme Court
- 00:00 Marking the lives of the women killed by men this year
- 00:00 Why the Chancellor must introduce a Robin Hood tax
- 00:00 A Christmas cracker
- 00:00 Sublime Stockhausen at the Barbican
- 00:00 Graphic vision of a red revolutionary future
- 00:00 Robbing the poor to pay the rich
- 00:00 Women’s concerns should not be minimised
- 23:56 'Do me a favour' Chris Sutton and Ally McCoist clash over Brendan...
- 23:56 Rangers managerial saga is no excuse for Dundee defeat says Graeme...
- 23:53 Man Utd boss Jose Mourinho BLASTS his side for not scoring enough...
- 23:51 Arsene Wenger denies unsettled Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil has...
- 23:51 Chelsea boss Antonio Conte frustrated at failure to sort future of...